Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Tomatoes in San Diego - When to start seeds and other ?

Posted by yumtomatoes 10b/FLA (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 4, 11 at 14:36

I don't live in San Diego, but a good friend does and I want to share my heirloom seeds with her so she can try to grow her own tomatoes. My climate here in South Florida is very different from hers, though, and I don't know how to advise her.

For San Diego's climate, when should she start seeds? Should she grow in containers or can she grow in the ground there? Any other advice specific to San Diego or Southern California?

I can send her Brandywine Sudduth, Landis, OTV and Platfoot, Cherokee Purple, Kellogg's Breakfast and Sun Gold. Any of these better for her climate than others?

She lives on a hill close to the pacific ocean in La Jolla.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Tomatoes in San Diego - When to start seeds and other

If you dont get a reply try the California GArdening Forum

o

I live about 100 miles north of San Diego and start my first seeds the last week of January and continue starting various varieties until early April. I sell tomato plants so usually start ten plants each of about 25 varieties. I only have enough room under my lights to start about 120 plants at a time so that's the reason for the spread out time period.
San Diego has about the mildest weather in the U.S., some say almost perfect. It is warmer there in the winter than where I am, and cooler in the summer than where I am due to the ocean influence. So I would guess your friend could start seeds any time they wanted, or for sure when I do. I don't believe they ever get freezing temperatures there. And in the summer many people don't even use their air conditioners even if they have them. I know my daughters dorm room at UC San Diego didn't even have air conditioning.

o

thanks dickie and californian! I did post on the CA forum and got some responses. Sounds like February is a good time to start seeds for her and get them in the ground by April. I guess you have root knot nematodes in CA, too. I thought it was just us Floridians who had to contend with them.

o

I lived in San Diego for years. I dont think coastal LaJolla gets a lot of heat, which might be a factor for some of the large beersteaks. Certainly, LaJOlla is a frost free climate. If I lived there I think I would try growing some cold tolerant varieties thru the Winter. LInda

o

Thanks for the tip linda. You are right, she doesn't get much heat. Maybe Brandywine might be best for her since those can set fruit with less heat or at least that is what I thought. She can wait to put them outside until May perhaps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here