Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First Time Growing Tomatoes

Posted by chilliwin EU DK 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 24, 13 at 14:41

Hi tomatoes growers, this is my first post in the forum and my first time growing tomatoes. I did not prepare well for my tomatoes plants. I have grown tomatoes in 40lt grow bag. one bag 2 tomatoes and one chili. My tomatoes are growing very well. I have some minor problems of watering, the soil dries so fast, at least I water twice a day otherwise the leaves are drooping. Is there any simple and easiest way to solve this problem.

Black Turfle:

photo IMG_3441_zps898bbe4b.jpg

I did not prepare cage for my tomatoes, when problem started I use Florida Weave a tips from Teyo.

Black Turfle 24AG13B photo IMG_3440_zpsb8c850f2.jpg

40 lt grow bag with three plants as I mentioned.

photo IMG_3442_zps5e47ca14.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Caelian

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First Time Growing Tomatoes

Welcome to the tomato world, Caelian !

As an experienced pepper grower, you will learn very quickly about tomatoes.

good luck !

o

Hi Caelian!
Enjoyed your post and the pictures. I've never used grow bags before but plan to next year. I purchased two 25 gallon ones in which I will plant one plant per bag. Now regarding the issue of your soil drying out quickly. What type of soil did you use, potting or garden? Potting soil is recommended when using containers and my choice is organic because I don't enjoy eating the chemicals that are found in Miracle Gro, not to mention the fact that non-organic fertilizers destroy your soil. (Check out the information available on the net on this subject.) Happy tomato growing. This season has been so different from last year. However in spite of all the challenges it has been fun and a definitely a learning one for me.

o

Hi Seysonn and JoeOrganicTomatoes, I am very glad to read both of your posts and thank you for your nice words.

My background of gardening is completely zero. I believe I can learn a lot from here, I trust you all.

The soil is potting soil, ( information from the grow bag: Sphagnum 35%, Tree fiber 35%, composted plants 30%, lime and ammonium nitrat added, pH is 6.2 to 7). I followed the instruction of the grow bags, it says 3 plants for one bag. I think three plants in one grow bag is too little from my experience, one plant for one grow bag would be much better.

I like organic food too and would like to use environmental friendly materials for my containers.

Happy growing

Caelian

o

Hi Caelian ,

Your soil mix and chemistry looks fine, as evidence by the plant and the amount of fruits on them. Th only thing is that most tomato plants (indeterminants) can grow HUGE foliage. That foliage needs to be supported, by cage, stakes or combination.

Another problem with your set up (as I see it) is that the medium is TOO SHALLOW for the root system, though the volume is adequate. So you would be much better off with a 5gal. bucket (per plant) than those bags.

o

Container growing has been good to me this season...but it is certainly different than in-ground. Grow bags seem to work for many....but sure dry out quickly. This means lots of work. Larger is generally better. Fast-draining mixes is important. Feed regularly.

o

The bags you are using are too shallow,... the large bag opening allows to for rapid evaporation ....., and you have two to many plants in each bag........check around the web for different bag/container ideas .....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here