Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chilliwin

First Time Growing Tomatoes

chilliwin
10 years ago

Hi tomatoes growers, this is my first post in the forum and my first time growing tomatoes. I did not prepare well for my tomatoes plants. I have grown tomatoes in 40lt grow bag. one bag 2 tomatoes and one chili. My tomatoes are growing very well. I have some minor problems of watering, the soil dries so fast, at least I water twice a day otherwise the leaves are drooping. Is there any simple and easiest way to solve this problem.

Black Turfle:

{{gwi:1380710}}

I did not prepare cage for my tomatoes, when problem started I use Florida Weave a tips from Teyo.

{{gwi:1380711}}

40 lt grow bag with three plants as I mentioned.

{{gwi:1380712}}

Thanks in advance.

Caelian

Comments (6)

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Welcome to the tomato world, Caelian !

As an experienced pepper grower, you will learn very quickly about tomatoes.

good luck !

• joeorganictomatoes
    10 years ago

Hi Caelian!
    Enjoyed your post and the pictures. I've never used grow bags before but plan to next year. I purchased two 25 gallon ones in which I will plant one plant per bag. Now regarding the issue of your soil drying out quickly. What type of soil did you use, potting or garden? Potting soil is recommended when using containers and my choice is organic because I don't enjoy eating the chemicals that are found in Miracle Gro, not to mention the fact that non-organic fertilizers destroy your soil. (Check out the information available on the net on this subject.) Happy tomato growing. This season has been so different from last year. However in spite of all the challenges it has been fun and a definitely a learning one for me.

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Seysonn and JoeOrganicTomatoes, I am very glad to read both of your posts and thank you for your nice words.

My background of gardening is completely zero. I believe I can learn a lot from here, I trust you all.

The soil is potting soil, ( information from the grow bag: Sphagnum 35%, Tree fiber 35%, composted plants 30%, lime and ammonium nitrat added, pH is 6.2 to 7). I followed the instruction of the grow bags, it says 3 plants for one bag. I think three plants in one grow bag is too little from my experience, one plant for one grow bag would be much better.

I like organic food too and would like to use environmental friendly materials for my containers.

Happy growing

Caelian

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Hi Caelian ,

Your soil mix and chemistry looks fine, as evidence by the plant and the amount of fruits on them. Th only thing is that most tomato plants (indeterminants) can grow HUGE foliage. That foliage needs to be supported, by cage, stakes or combination.

Another problem with your set up (as I see it) is that the medium is TOO SHALLOW for the root system, though the volume is adequate. So you would be much better off with a 5gal. bucket (per plant) than those bags.

• fireduck
    10 years ago

Container growing has been good to me this season...but it is certainly different than in-ground. Grow bags seem to work for many....but sure dry out quickly. This means lots of work. Larger is generally better. Fast-draining mixes is important. Feed regularly.

• dickiefickle
    10 years ago

The bags you are using are too shallow,... the large bag opening allows to for rapid evaporation ....., and you have two to many plants in each bag........check around the web for different bag/container ideas .....

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?