Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rubidot

Bugs! Dry Splotchy leaves, holes.

Rubidot
11 years ago

I've got a bunch of tomato plants growing this year, and they seem to be doing pretty well for the most part. The biggest one, though seems to have some issues, and the younger ones in the same planter may be following suit.

First off, the leaf stems grow down. They're not limp, they just seem to want to grow straight down instead of out to the sides like they normally do. Other than that, the top half or so of the plant looks healthy and strong. The lower portion of the plant though, the leaves are brown and yellow and splotchy and curled up. The tomatoes are great, just had a little bit of cracking and a hole or two in the very ripe ones I've had so far, which looks clearly like the work of some small insect. I think I should just pick the tomatoes a little earlier, before the bugs eat them.

And the bugs. There's little black ants crawling over my tomato plants, but I didn't think much of it as we have them everywhere. Could they be boring the holes in my ripe tomatoes? Then there's spiders, moved in to eat the ants, I assume, and I just discovered two big green caterpillars with pointy tail things. I'm guessing they're hornworms and I should remove them. I've also seen what I think are aphids, but they're more on my onions, I haven't seen them on the tomatoes.

Is there something wrong with my plant that I need to address, or is this normal stuff that I don't need to worry about? I water every couple days.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of the plants

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Arete Construction Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Experienced Craftsman & Top Quality Masonry in Frederick County