Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bugs! Dry Splotchy leaves, holes.

Posted by Rubidot 8B (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 30, 12 at 15:02

I've got a bunch of tomato plants growing this year, and they seem to be doing pretty well for the most part. The biggest one, though seems to have some issues, and the younger ones in the same planter may be following suit.

First off, the leaf stems grow down. They're not limp, they just seem to want to grow straight down instead of out to the sides like they normally do. Other than that, the top half or so of the plant looks healthy and strong. The lower portion of the plant though, the leaves are brown and yellow and splotchy and curled up. The tomatoes are great, just had a little bit of cracking and a hole or two in the very ripe ones I've had so far, which looks clearly like the work of some small insect. I think I should just pick the tomatoes a little earlier, before the bugs eat them.

And the bugs. There's little black ants crawling over my tomato plants, but I didn't think much of it as we have them everywhere. Could they be boring the holes in my ripe tomatoes? Then there's spiders, moved in to eat the ants, I assume, and I just discovered two big green caterpillars with pointy tail things. I'm guessing they're hornworms and I should remove them. I've also seen what I think are aphids, but they're more on my onions, I haven't seen them on the tomatoes.

Is there something wrong with my plant that I need to address, or is this normal stuff that I don't need to worry about? I water every couple days.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of the plants

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bugs! Dry Splotchy leaves, holes.

The things with the pointy tails need to die. They can eat most of a tomato plant overnight. Hornworms.

Plants are short pf water -- symptoms = curled/rolled & dried leaves.

I don't see the aphids and/or black things you mentioned.

o

These pictures don't show the little black bugs, and I haven't seen them much on the tomatoes. After putting this up, I noticed that there's little green aphids on a leaf in one of the pictures. I never noticed them before because they're so small and green. I'm going to try spraying them with soap.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo of Aphids

o

Thanks, I got rid of the hornworms. I water this the same as the ones in the planter right next to it, but those are doing well, and they get a bit more sun.

o

The ants are there for the aphids. Aphids leave a sticky residue that attracts other insects. Aphids can make leaves curl and look dry.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here