Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Yeah, yeah, I know. It's impossible to ID a tomato just from seeing photos. But I figure it couldn't hurt to ask anyway.

Anyway, here are the tomatoes. The larger one is about a pound and a half and the smaller one is about a pound. The pound and a half is average size. Top view.

Bottom view.

The smaller tomato cut in half. It's nearly seedless (only 2 dozen seeds in the whole fruit).

A pic of the leaves I took back in June when the plant was smaller (hence the specks of cottonwood fluff on the leaves).

History: My dad got the seeds from his uncle when he died a decade ago and gave them to me. They were in a pill bottle that was unlabeled. The only other thing I know about their history is that my dad believes his uncle brought them with him from West Virginia when he moved here to Michigan.

Now I've grown these a couple of times previously and the other two times the fruits have been fully red. So the genetics are somewhat unstable. The previous red fruits were also large and had those ugly markings on the top of the fruit (this leads me to believe that it's a variety trait rather than from something cultural but I could be wrong). Unfortunately I have only grown a grand total of three of these plants due mostly to lack of space so there may be more genetic variation than I'm noting. I've got more space now and plan on growing more plants next year.

They are definitely a late tomato and have been the previous two times as well. This year the plants started to have very small fruits back in late June or early July (I started slacking in keeping notes during this time) but they have finally just started ripening within the last week. The other varieties of tomatoes I'm growing this year have been ripening for a few weeks now.

As for the taste, I don't know. I tried a small piece and didn't like it but then I don't like raw tomatoes to begin with. So I'll have get other people's opinions and I'll report back on this.

Rodney

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH