Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomatoe seeds rotting in fruit

Posted by ALwaterhead76 none (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 4, 11 at 15:26

I have two different varieties of tomatoes "Better Boy" and I can't remember the other but it's a smaller variety. Both are producing at a good rate and the tomatoes are rippening just fine. But when you slice into them some of the seeds are rotten. This is happening on both varieties. My cherry and grape tomatoes are fine and producing great. Any suggestions or ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomatoe seeds rotting in fruit

Harvest a tad earlier.

o

yes, it sounds like you are leaving the fruit on the vine too long or letting them sit on the counter too long before you eat them.

o

Can you post a pic ?

o

If there is a black area inside the fruits it could well be what's called internal BER ( blossom end rot) where the exterior does not show the typical lesions at the blossom end of the fruits, but the lack of Ca++ that causes death of the tissues is confined to the internal flesh.

Just a suggestion.

Carolyn

o

I had something like what Carolyn mentions earlier this year in a large grocery-store grape.

o

this is the closest I have come with having a similiar problem. I have a good pic, but spent a good deal of time trying to download but can't seem to do this. Even downloaded to Flicker but unable to find any easy instx.
Anyway, have some great looking Costoluto Genevese tomatoes. First one when cut into all the gel and seeds were somewhat in the middle of tomato, not appealing looking. Seeds were not blackened, just "congealed" is the closest I can get to explain. Even took the tom to our local extension cooperative agent. They were stumped and trying to find out cause. Never had this happen before. Tried all different wording but still to no avail. If anyone has any clue or had this happen to them would love some info. Just a beautiful tomato, but open it and wow, kind of shocking. thank you much

o

Ticee, was the tomato hollow like a green pepper? Here are some photos of stuffing tomatoes, aka stuffers:
http://www.victoryseeds.com/tomato_red-stuffer.html
http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/File:TB_Red_Cup_Sliced1.jpghttp://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/File:Gezahnte1.jpg
http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/File:Yellow_Stuffer_Sliced.jpg

As to why it happened with your Costoluto G, one clue would be whether the other tomatoes on that plant are the same. If so, then either the seeds were from a different variety, or they were crossed, or there was a mutation in the seed that grew that particular plant.

If the other fruits on that plant are normal, I've no idea.

o

Ticee, check out the tomato condition called puffiness via Google b/c I think it may match what you're describing.

Carolyn

o

thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

Carolyn, I do think you hit it on the head. Puffiness,
looks and sounds like my tomato. Do you think it would be appropriate to let the extension people know that I think the problem has been determined. Have been growing tomatoes for years, never a problem but when one pops around it sure messes everything up, especially if one grows from seed. And who said growing tomatoes is easy. Yes, if it all goes well. Thank you for that info, just something else to be concerned about!

o

Ticee, it's really up to you if you want to share info about the condition named puffiness. If they couldn't ID it in the first place perhaps that might be a good thing to do and also share with them the conditions that can lead to puffiness as well/

Carolyn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here