Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
containerted

A Few larger ones

containerted
9 years ago

The larger fruits are coming in now. I thought I'd show some of the larger harvest I'm enjoying. I have to pick them at first break this year. I have a tomato eating critter that is damaging anything near the ground. Enjoy.

Comments (16)

• containerted
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a picture of some more fruits that are averaging around the one pound size.

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

Ted, any chance you'd like to ID the fruits you show?

And I see a couple of them with stems still on. When I was picking tomatoes at the farm where I grew up my dad would YELL at me if I ever left stems on fruits since when put in the basket they would poke holes in other fruits.

Carolyn

• daniel_nyc
    9 years ago

Rose tomato. 1 lb. 5 oz. (21 oz) Meaty, decent taste.

• sheltieche
    9 years ago

Carolyn, I hear same comment from my hubby all the time. I am suppose to clean up all stems before putting it in the bag.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Nice haul Ted. And impressive sizes too.

On Picking with part of stem on.
    Good tip, Carolyn.
    I harvest my tomatoes with part of the stem on. I should cut them shorter (from now on) not to do damage . I can afford doing this because I have only a handful of plants

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

When picking tomatoes we , my dad and brother and Aunt Ollie, never cut the stems, we just flipped them out with our thumb. Sometimes you have to wiggle them a bit since some are harder to get out than others.

And all the rest of my tomato growing years by myself I did the same.

Some think that leaving the stem on protects the fruits from dehydration if they are to be stored for any length of time, but I don't go along with that.

Carolyn

• containerted
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, Carolyn. The one with the stem still on is Bulgarian old Sort. The red one is an indeterminate that I'm working on from the "Loopy" family of the Dwarf Project. The one at the top is African Queen.

In the second picture, the yellow one is from a commercial plant listed as "Yellow Brandywine". The ones showing a lot of ribbing are a great tasting cross that showed up in my brother's small garden last year. It was supposed to be a brandywine, but is obviously not BW. This one is much earlier and very flattish in its shape. However, it's also meaty and I rated the taste at 8.5 out of 10. The really pretty ripe one in the second picture (just above the one with the stem) is Bulgarian Old Sort and the one above it and slightly to the left is Ukrainka - a Russian variety from Marina.

If anyone has a question about the others, just ask. This season, I raised several Russian varieties. They are all very good, but only two were outstanding. This is pretty good for first year with them.

Ted

• Kpn.Kardif
    9 years ago

It's no monster, but it's my best one so far! 20 oz black krim.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Twenty (20)oz for BK, is a very good size. Mine were no bigger than 4 -6 oz last year and they were round, not boat shape.

• hudson___wy
    9 years ago

Of course you would expect a pic from me representing "Brandy Boy"! I seriously have no financial interests in this variety- haha - the variety just likes our GH. Of the varieties we planted - Mortgage Lifter - Bicolor Strain, Big Zac, Better Boy and Cherokee Purple - Brandy Boy produced the largest fruit. There is a larger one on the vein right now - but still growing and green at the moment. We don't grow for size but it is always fun to get some larger (larger for us) fruit!

• containerted
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's an idea of what kind of "flow" I'm getting up from the garden. My DW is not happy with the "buckets" on her island, but she likes the taste of most of them.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

OK. Talking about large ones.
    This is the largest so far that I have picked.
    I planted the seed from a store bought heirloom tomato. So I don't know what the actual names is. I call it Cherokee Purple LA (look alike). And I picked it before it had a chance to fully ripen on the vine. So I'll let it stay on the counter for a whiles.

• northernmn
    9 years ago

My best looking large tomato:

Giant Belgium 1# 8OZ

• northernmn
    9 years ago

My biggest Cherokee Purple so far:

1# 11.5 oz

• northernmn
    9 years ago

My biggest tomato so far for 2014

Giant Belgium 2# 4.8 oz

This tomato was the biggest of a 3 tomato cluster that collectively weighed over 5#s.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

My largest so far has been a 15 oz CP.

BTW: it is a 15 inch cucumber next to it.