Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Loving the biggies!

Posted by labradors z5 ONT (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 15:42

The beautiful Anna Russian has ripened, along with Prudens Purple and Black Early.

I think they all taste great individually. Yesterday we compared PP with BE and thought that BE was best as it had slightly more pizzaz. Today we compared BE with Anna Russian and my husband and niece both preferred BE, but I preferred Anna Russian. I found BE slightly acidic, but Anna was sweet and mild.

It's hard to compare a lot of different varieties with such large tomatoes because I wouldn't want to waste any! (LOL)

Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Loving the biggies!

OK, I give up, what is BE? LOL

I think I can think of several BE's but no way to know if one of them is your BE. ( smile)

Carolyn

o

Carolyn,
I think Linda mentions Black Early that is listed by Tatiana website . I have not grown this one yet and I love dark tomatoes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Balck Early

o

Yup it's Big Early and I'm impressed with the flavor!

It wasn't as early as Prudens Purple though......

Linda

o

Linda, I went back to your first post and missed where you said Black Early, just reading too fast.

And now you say Big Early,

Can I assume that you meant to say Black Early? ( smile)

Carolyn

o

Oh dear! I must be losing it. Yes Black Early (LOL)

Linda

o

I'm getting ready to cut into a Cherokee Purple for dinner. I've waited a long time for this one! Linda, so true, I don't know what I'm going to do when there are going to be several to taste at once! oh well, tomato salad, tomato sauce, here we come. In the meantime, it's been slow going on the ripening front.
AR is definitely not what I would call acidic - great tomato for sauce and eating.

o

Most of my plants are biggies and cutting even more on cherries for next year. I do not have seeds for Black early so I guess it is on the list.
I might give a whirl to Anna Russian again, previous years it was iffy plant for me but I have learned much since then too...

o

Today we compared Black Early and Indian Stripe (RL). Black Early has been the winner so far, but we all preferred Indian Stripe today!

We also tasted a really ripe Little Lucky, and it tasted quite sweet compared to the black tomatoes.

Linda

o

This was my biggest so far @ 12 oz.
I got the seeds from a store bought heirloom. I did not its name until today. It is called Ananas Noire (aka Black Pineapple). Thanks to Conchita for IDing it.

o

Biggies?

I received two boxes of tomatoes from a tomato friend in NJ on WED and I have no idea how she got such large ones at this time of the year.

All of these were 2-3 pounds:

Istra ( Slovenia)
Sen Say ( forgot origin)
Anna Margarets Heart ( originally from Germany)
Orangeviyi Velikan ( Russian I think,) means large orange
Orange Minsk Heart (non heart from Belarus and heart version from it here in the US)

All of the above are varieties I have offered in my seed offers elsewhere.

Then she sent fruits from some not yet offered ones, seeds from Roberta in Italy to me then to her, asking my opinion about them.

I can't eat all of those and my one old cat doesn't eat them either. So I gave some to Freda, who was here this AM, she cleans and does all my gardening for me now that I can't, next is Donna, the USPS person who carried the boxes inside for me,

And then I'm told she's sending another box of tomatoes to come today, but less ripe.

At the same time as the two boxes came on Wed, another box came, another friend IN CO who sent me two Rocky Ford melons and some peaches from the western slope.

I lived in Denver for many years, t aught med students there, and we on the Eastern side of the rockies couldn't wait to get our hands and collective mouths on those Western slope fruits. LOL

Life is good.

Carolyn

o

As in Gulliver's Travels, big and small all are relative;

Here is an example.

o

Oh Carolyn,

Those ARE biggies! I don't know what I would do with such enormous tomatoes! Guess I'd have to eat what I could, put some in the doggy dinners and freeze the rest until I have a big enough batch to make sauce.

Everything is relative isn't it? Having grown cherries and saladettes, anything larger is BIG in my mind....

Enjoy your bounty :-).

Linda

o

Size may be relative with some things but not tomatoes. There is a known range for sizes and 12oz. is not large. Decent size for slicing but medium at best.

o

Carolyn, would to hear how they taste, specially heart ones. I am always on lookout for good heart tomatoes.

o

Istra ( Slovenia)
Sen Say ( forgot origin)
Anna Margarets Heart ( originally from Germany)
Orangeviyi Velikan ( Russian I think,) means large orange
Orange Minsk Heart (non heart from Belarus and heart version from it here in the US)

All of the above are varieties I have offered in my seed offers elsewhere.

&&&&&

Since you participate elsewhere you already know of the ones above, and i think all were reported on in theFall feedback threads I put up each year,

And I just remembered that Sen Say is also a heart. ( smile)

The third box contained ones I hadn't grown at all, or had grown for me, a real treat and with this walker I can't make sauce, perhaps I could cut up some and freeze, but I prefer fresh eating and I can't eat tomatoes for breakfast, lunch and dinner, LOL

Carolyn

o

My biggest ripe so far is Fish Lake Oxheart:

photo DSC04633_zps7fb5a99b.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here