Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trellis for my tomatoes

Posted by Daniel_516 none (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 7, 11 at 15:47

Just wanted to share with you the trellis I have made for my tomatoes.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trellis for my tomatoes

The wind will blow away those silver mulch .Edges should be buried with soil or mulch.

o

I think it looks good man.I love marigolds to the point that I love them.

James and fely, how do you know which way the wind blows? Maybe look at other things in the picture? Seems to me there was some work and thought put into this area.

Take care,
Travis

o

@ jamesandfely: >The wind will blow away those silver mulch.

I carefully leveled the soil, and I pushed the staples as close as I could to the edge of the Metallic Silver Mulch. I highly doubt that a regular wind will make any damage. Actually, few hours ago it was a pretty strong wind; nothing happened. Maybe a thunderstorm can do some damge, just maybe.

>Edges should be buried with soil or mulch.

There will be wood mulch or straws between the rows.

@ springlift34: >i think it looks good man.

Tx.

>Seems to me there was some work and thought put into this area.

Yeah, there was some work and a lot of though in many areas.

o

I also used cutworm collars (paper cups.)

o

I've been using toilet paper rolls for cutworm collars for tomatoes and cucurbits. First slice the cardboard lengthwise, then cut in half the other way. This has worked well so far -- no losses in about 80 plants.

I see a tomato clip in the last photo. Couldn't live without them! Wonderful for arranging tomato vines on my cattle-panel trellis; also for holding cucumber and gourd vines on the trellis temporarily -- until their tendrils get a grip.

I use the red tomato clips, which I think are a bit larger than the translucent ones. (Gardener's Supply Co. sells some green ones which may be larger still.)

o

For tomatoes I use Tomato Trellis Clips (100 Count - $7.25) [Johnny,s] .

For places where I need shorter or longer ties, in my case for marigolds, or for cucumbers (see the trellis for my cucumbers, that I have made) I use
Velcro Plant Ties (10 ft. - $2.49) [Pinetree Garden Seeds].

o

WOW. That looks great! LInda

o

I like it! You'll have to post some more pictures when the tomato plants have grown some. (Pretty marigolds, too.)

o

I wonder, did you need to purchase a permit from the city to build that thing? :P

I'm half serious, over here they are totally anal about any little improvement thing you do.

o

I did not purchase a permit. I thought that this is NOT an addition to my house.

But strangely, yesterday one of my neibors asked me the same question.

o

Living in NYC and in a recently land-marked district, for any change to structure or color you must get a permit. Things not attached to a house are a different story.

We have a few things things in our yard that you might not find in historic Brooklyn, My dad bought/found/stole odd things, since his passing last year, they have taken on new meaning. The neighbors love it as well as many of the neighborhood kids, and if they didn't, I'd tell em to go shove it.

o

That cow taking it easy seems to be in Deep Thought.

by Jack Handey

Take care,
Travis

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here