Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato ripening and high temperatures

Posted by mihaip123 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 15:58

Hello fellow gardeners !

I've just read that when temperatures are above 86 Fahrenheit, tomatoes stop ripening.

Here is my dilemma : most of my fruits are green, and 2 of them are pink. In the past week and next 2-3 weeks temperatures were/will be 95 degrees.

What should I do to get them to ripen ? I can't do anything about weather, maybe I can do something with the plants?

Should I put them to shade, out of direct sunlight ?

I'd hate to wait until end of August until they start ripening again (or they die of some sort of disease)

Thank you !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato ripening and high temperatures

I dont think that temps 86 to 95F are critically high temperatures for tomatoes. Even if they were, the thing to remember is that 95F high reported/forecast lasts just a few hours in 24 hours. I can estimate that within 24 hours period, when the high reaches 95F that no more than 6 hours the temps will be in 86F to 95F range. In the remaining 18 hours the temps will be lower than 86F. You can verify this by checking your hourly temperatures.

o
RE: Tomato ripening and high temperatures

Don't agree with the ripening statement b/c I notice oodles of my tomatoes ripening in my greenhouses when temperatures are very high. However, when temperatures are very high they don't set fruit as well ( variety dependent) and the stress on the plants leads to more Blossem End Rot (variety dependent). What I have predicted very well is a lag in production 50-60 days after a period of very high temperatures.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here