Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A unique cherry tomato that I grow

Posted by mjhuntingtonbeach CA 10b (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 5, 12 at 16:07

About 15-20 years ago I wanted to put a cherry tomato plant into a pot on the patio of a house I was renting. There was a quirky health food store around the corner that had some tomato plants in pots and I picked one labeled "Pink Cherry". Well, the fruit turned out to be red, not pink, and very unique. I have looked all over the internet and have not found any mention of anyone growing or selling the seeds of a similar cherry tomato. They look like little red bell peppers, with folds and indentations, and range in size from average to large for a cherry tomato, the ones in my hand are about as large as they get. When you bite into one, it crunches, almost like a bell pepper and has a delicious sweet flavor. Does anyone know what variety this is, or am I in charge of the genetic future of a unique variety? I have attached some pictures I took, earlier this past week in the greener pictures, the red ones today.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A unique cherry tomato that I grow

Looks a lot like Zapotec Pleated and shares some traits with Costoluto Genovese. I think it may be unique.

DarJones

o

Sorry OP, i have no idea what variety you have on your hands.

Did i read that right, you've been planting seed from the same original plant, for the past 15 to 20 years?

If it did start out as a cross, it is certainly stabilized by now.

Oh boy would i love to grow those, they're the perfect "smallish" size imho, thanks for sharing the pics and info =)

o

How tall does this plant get ? Could you get a pic of a sliced one ?

o

When you first saved seeds from the fruits of this plant all those years ago and sowed them for new plants,how many plants did you put out and were the fruits on all of those plants the same indicating that it probably was an OP variety. Or did you see that there was gene segregation and that different plants had different fruits, indicating a known F1 hybrid or more likely an F1 hybrid which was the result of an accidental cross pollination.

Darrel, I can't see it being Zapotec of which the original is pink, flattened and fluted b'c of the number of fruits that are being held in the hands. Original Zapotec is larger than those that are shown. And yes, there are some places that sell seeds for what they call a red version, but still flattened and larger than what's shown, and one red version is listed in the 2012 Yearbook as coming from Lisa at Amishland, rare, exclusive, etc., but still larger than what's shown.

If it weren't for the fact that you got that plant so many years ago I'd be tempted to say it looked like a possible cross with the variety Tomatoberry, link below, but that variety wasn't even avaialable until I think 2008.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomatoberry variety

o

I want some... we need pics of them sliced.

o

Looks quite a bit like a Scotch Bonnet Pepper.
But I am pretty sure what you have there is a cross between a Bell Pepper and a Tomato, hence the "crunch" and sweet flavor.
Also the leaves look like a version of the "Yellow Stuffer"

I think what you have there is some version of a Stuffer Tomato.

When you cut one open is it somewhat hollow inside like a cross between a Pepper and a Tomato?

Here is a link that might be useful: Stuffer Tomato

o

Hi all,

Thanks Carolyn for that link, the Tomatoberry does look similar to mine, but I know I have been growing and saving seed from the one pictured since at least 1995 or 1996.

It has bred true every year, although I rarely have more than two or three plants in any one year and I save seeds from each one. In any one year I plant out seeds from a selection of the past 7 or 8 years worth of seed and plant the most vigorous.

It is indeterminate, not as vigorous as many cherry tomatoes but it usuall gets to 4 or 5 feet tall in 20/25 gallon pots. It has done somewhat better in garden soil but I am so short on garden space that I tend to grow mostly in pots. I also find that the crunch and sweetness tend to be more pronounced on pot grown specimens.

I will try and remember to cut and photograph some fruits this evening and post pictures. I don't recall there being caverns inside along the lines of a stuffing tomato, but then again I eat them like candy mostly, popping them right in the mouth and crunching away, and so do not get to see much of the interior haha.

Mike

o

Those are beautiful tomatoes.

o

Are you interested in sharing any seed? I would be more than happy to help you uhhhh proliferate this genetic variety. :) Sounds like tasty fun to me.

CH

o
Pictures of the interior of the tomato

In response to the inquiries to see what the interior structure looked like, I cut a sampling of tomatoes in half, and here are some pictures. Very small seed cavities, almost solid flesh (probably why so crunchy). And yes, I probably am willing to share seeds, to make sure I have a back up source in case my house burns down with all the saved seed I have in it, a cheap insurance policy :). Oh, obviously this variety does not lend itself to the "fermentation" style of saving seed (nothing to ferment). I usually just take a coffee filter and smear wet seeds and pulp across it like butter, and dry. I have found after many years that this is a quick and easy method for saving small quantities of seed. Just pick off seeds when I want to plant and they grow just fine :-)

Mike

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

After removing the seeds:

Photobucket

Another one quartered - solid flesh

Photobucket

More solid flesh:

Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

With seeds and then after removing seeds:

Photobucket
Photobucket

o

I am interested in a few seeds as well.

o

Hi Mike,

I would love to trade for a few seeds also ! My trade list is not up to date but I have many kinds of tomato seeds , too many to list, please let me know if you are interested in a trade and what you are looking for ? Thanks !

Iris

o

I "need" some of these seeds too!

I have lots to trade -

will send a PM -

Deb

o

K - you have no email listed -

please email me for a trade :-)

o
Hey folks, for those interested in some seeds...

I tried to change the profile here, apparently it wasn't letting anyone contact me for some seeds, couldn't quite figure out how to do that but I have asked the site for some assistance. Yes, geographical diversification could save my cherry from going extinct if something happens to me, and an extinct cherry would be a shame lol.

o

Whatcha gonna name it?

o
A name for a unique cherry tomato that I grow?

Not sure, would any name I gave it even stick? Anyone else can call it what they want after it leaves my sheltered garden space....

o

• Posted by qaguy Sunset 21/LosAngeles (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 7, 12 at 1:39

I'd take some....might be nice to have a backup seed bank
close to home (I'm in Glendora).

And I'd certainly keep whatever name you pick. To me,
it would an insult to you if I changed it. You'd probably
never know, but I would.

Nothing to offer, I'm afraid, unless you'd like a nice
plumeria cutting or two or three.

o

Not sure, would any name I gave it even stick? Anyone else can call it what they want after it leaves my sheltered garden space....

If you're going to name it, please do so and request that everyone you send seeds to use the same name. To allow others to call it what they want to just introduces confusion to the whole situation.

If this is the only place you read/post, that works well for here, but if you read/post elsewhere it would be best to make the same request for using the name you gave it.

Carolyn, who remembers well the time she asked folks here to name a variety to help folks understand what goes into naming a variety. That situation was different b'c it was an heirloom and there was lots of background info which she shared with everyone first. There were 22 folks who participated in the thread, the final name was Neves Azorean Red and as thanks she sent seeds to all 22 who participated.

o

Name it after a family member or yourself and give some seeds to Carolyn if she is willing. Carolyn wrote the tomato book you know.

Here is a link that might be useful: the book

o

If I remember correctly, a few years ago you also posted some pics of this tomato? It's a very unique looking variety.

I would love to help you preserve it. I helped with a grow-out a few years ago for Craig L. that I really enjoyed doing.

I'm really interested to see what you name it.

Cindy

o

If I may throw out an obvious but fitting name for the tomato, Little Bell. Just in case your looking for the easy way out. Bell in reference to it's pepper like qualities.

Looking foward to growing these little guys next season.

CH

o

Helen, you'll note that the place you linked to has no copies, and b'c my book went out of print about a year ago, there's a long thread elsewhere and the prices that some places are charging for it, for a new copy, of which there are few, run into the hundreds of dollars.

Also, the info in the blurb for my book is WAY out of date since I had to retire early due to two bad hips and have been retired since 1999.

Heck, I've got four pristine copies here at home and am waiting until the price reaches around one thousand, then I'll unload and up my budget for dark bittersweet chocolate and cashews. LOL

One can get used copies via Amazon and other places but the only place I'm aware of right now, for a new copy being sold for the correct price is Heirloom Seeds in PA, if Tom has any left, that is.

Sure, I'd like some seeds to try for next year. I guess I'm supposed to send a PM to the person with them, and will do so after I finish this post. And I'll also offer something in return as well.

Well, I can do better than that and mj, since apparently there are some problems reaching you , and I don't list an e-mail address on MY Page, my choice, why don't you e-mail me directly at cmale@aol.com

And that e-mail addy for mj only, pretty please. ( smile)

Carolyn

o

Well that does look like some variation of a tiny "Cherry Stuffer"
I would like some seeds also, I live about 2 miles from Craig LeHoullier in Raleigh NC, would give him a few so that he can check them out, grow them etc.

He may know of these already, if not then most likely you have your very own variety.
See no way to contact you.

My email is bpandkat@nc.rr.com

o

Nun, no, Craig does not know of these cherry tomatoes since he posts only at one site, being the Northern Hemisphere Co-ordinator of the Dwarf project, which I know you know already. LOL

Are you the one who asked to go directly to his home to pick up some plants rather than go to the Raleigh farmer's Market where he sells them? ( wink)

He is my best friend, tomato and otherwise and we've known each other for about 23 years now and if mj sends me seeds some will go to Craig, who raises all my plants for me since I can no longer do so being chained to a walker,and some will also go to one of the folks who does seed production for me, probably Shoe in NC as well.

So no need for you to give seeds to Craig b'c I have to for the reason I just mentioned. ( smile)

Carolyn

o

OK Carolyn I was just emailing him just now because he emailed me earlier this morning about some Mexico Midget and Cossack Pineapple seeds that I was going to pick up from him.

I was about to add into this email about this tomato to see if he wanted any seeds or not but I guess no need to do so.
Glad I came back here to grab a picture to show him.

o

"Are you the one who asked to go directly to his home to pick up some plants rather than go to the Raleigh farmer's Market where he sells them? ( wink)"
-------------------------------

Umm don't know, I emailed him back on May 27th asking him about Dwarf plants and ideas about smaller under 4' plants with large tomatoes that I could grow.
He emailed me back with his home address in his very first email and said stop on by before noon the next day and pick up as many Dwarfs as I wanted for free because he was about to compost them.
So I picked up 3 which is all I had pots for.
He was very nice guy, enjoyed talking with him and seeing his driveway full of plants.

I didn't even know he sold plants at the Farmers Market until after I talked to him, but he had stopped selling them at the time I emailed him, too late in the year.
I guess when he does this it is only on Weekends and before late May and I NEVER go on weekends, too crowded.

o

Interesting thread and great pictures! I would love to grow this also. I have many tomato varieties to trade, but no list. Maybe you have a wish list?

o

MJ, my email addy is mattbriggs88@gmail.com and I don't care who else emails me. Though I haven't written any books about tomatoes yet either. (Yet) ;)

CH

o

As for what I could trade you back. For tomatoes I am growing Stupice, Italian Heirloom, Chocolate stripes, Dagma's Perfection, Homer Fikes Yellow Oxheart, Cherokee Purple, Giant Belgian, and San Marzano Redorta.

I am also growing Tromboncino Squash, Densuke Watermelons, insuks wang kong runner beans, 1812 scarlet runner beans, and two unkown varieties of italian pole beans. One may be fagiolo de cueno but I'm not certain.

I have some other common things like cukes and bell peppers but I'm not sure about saving those seeds. Oh and I have about 3000 avalanche snow peas.

CH

o

CH, my not wanting folks to e-mail me has nothing to do with my book. It has to do with the many years I spent in the Tomato Pest and Disease Forum here along with Jean, who will attest to that, and a few others who are here from time to time but not on a regular basis.

And when I occasionally answer a question here in the Discussion Forum about diseases, then others will often contact me to answer their questions.

Right now you can see a thread I put up, still at the top, about someone who did e-mail me but I couldn't asnwer back b'c his e-mail addy was dead.

And I have about 5 posts off GW right now, asking for seeds, which I don't sell, I make one seed offer annually at another place, SASE type, and also up to now have SSE listed many,and then 2 others asking various questions.

I'm not shy nor a recluse, nor one who doesn't like to help others, which I've been doing since about 1983, but I had to give up answering questions sent to me off GW many years ago b/c it was just too much to handle, and besides, I'm one who thinks that ALL questions and ALL answers should be done publicaly so that anyone who wants to answer can do so.

And GW is not the only message site I interact with.

Long answer, yes, but I just wanted to assure you that my limiting my e-mail address to just mj was NOT b'c of anything having to do with my book, which I don't sell either. ( smile)

Carolyn

o

Coconut Head I was selfish in suggesting that Carolyn get seeds because I can see from the pictures of that meaty tomato that there are not loads of seeds for everyone who is interested. Carolyn will pass along seeds to Glecklers or Sandhill or Tania or someone like them and later if things go well and may allow me to get seeds someday.

o

Haha Carolyn, I was just teasin, I can certainly understand there are many many many reasons why people do not want 1000 random people from "the internet" to have their personal e-mail address.

Helen, You were by no means selfish, you have just as much right to ask as any of us. I only need a few seeds myself to get my own seed stock going. :)

CH

o

Hi all,

Thanks for the enthusiastic response. Give me a few days to digest all this and figure out next steps. As Helenh noted, these tomatoes don't produce huge amounts of seed but I do have some from prior years. At the very least, Carolyn, will try to contact you and get some to you. It is a nice variety, that feels like a personal friend, and would be nice to get it out there so that it can always be found. I have seriously been concerned that if my house burned down some winter, I would never be able to grow them again.

Back to work (yeah, having to pay bills sucks lol)

Laterz

o

I don't know what they are but they sure do look good. are they easy to grow? are they along the lines of sung gold in sweetness?

o

Please add me to the list of people interested in your tomato seeds. I have sown older seeds with great success and will appreciate any you have to share. Even as few as 5 seeds would be okay as I keep seeds from my tomatoes.

I no longer keep a trade list but have a large perennial garden and collect seeds if I know what someone wants. I have some heirloom tomatoes though not an extensive amount. If you are interested we can discuss a trade through email. Thanks for your consideration and a chance to try your unusual variety here in the Midwest.

o

mj, just letting you know that I got your e-mail and will get to it and the questions you asked about later today or tomorrow. ( smile)

Carolyn

o

I would also love a few seeds. Please let me know what i can send you for them, thank you, josie

o

I'm hoping to reopen this interesting thread. Fascinating tomato! Just wondering what you ended up naming this little wonder, so I can try and locate it. My little girl loves cherries- this would be interesting. And good job on keeping this tomato going all by yourself :)

Lindsey

o

He named it Selbo's Red Ribbed.

And it's now in NC where one of the four wonderful folks do seed production for me since I no longer can having fallen in Dec of 2004 and severed all four quad muscles in my right leg, hence, I've had to use a walker since then,

If it llooks good and seed production is good, as someone said above I do send seeds for trial to certain seed sites and also sometimes SSE list a variety although I'm cutting way back on my SSE listings, as well as offering it my annual seed offer elsewhere.

I don't know who else Mike sent seeds to, but as far as the seeds to me, seeds produced this summer will go to the kinds of folks /places I mentioned above and then they grow it out in 2014 and save their own seeds, so it takes about two to three years before a new variety becomes publicaly available if all goes well..

Carolyn

o

Good name. Sorry to hear about your fall, hope your recovering. Good to see you are keeping up with seed production, even if someone else is doing the growing.

Where do u do a seed offer? I'll keep my eyes peeled at the other places you mentioned. It looks like a great snacker.
Thanks, Lindsey

o

Carolyn,

I should also mention, that if you ever need help growing out tomato seeds I am able to help. That goes to anyone else too. I have ample space and I enjoy seed saving/preservation. I use blossom bagging methods. It is too late to help this year, but if you need help in the future you can contact me here. I live in the Blue Ridge Mountains of VA.

Lindsey

o

Lindsey, sorry to say that there is no recovery from a severed quad muscle that can't be reattached, so that's the wayit is.3/4 were reattached but the fourth one, the inner one, could not so my right leg is very unstable and always will be.

And GW does not allow for other message sites to be mentioned here so I could be banned if I did so.

I've tried 3X to clarify this with Tamara, the Mod here, but, well, I still don't have an answer and I can try again.

No links from other sites can beposted here as well and in a recent thread here Ami and others were questioning that policy since message sites major function, as many of us see it, is tu share information.

Righ tnow I have enough folks to handle growouts of brand new varieties for seed production, but thanks so much for making the offer, really,

Carolyn

o

Very sorry to hear about your leg not recovering fully- that sounds like more than a fall. I take it you aren't plowing the fields by hand anymore for all those tomatoes. And it sounds like you were lucky to recover, even if not fully.

I didn't know the rule about referring to another site. I only knew of one other garden forum anyway. I may not be new to gardening, but I am very new to online gardening. It took me forever to sign up here b/c I just am not good with computers and couldn't figure it out. I think I have the hang of it now, and find it such a useful resource. I did a little research and I found the other site, so no biggee there. Thanks for the help; I am eager to try this tomato. My little girl and hubby love crunchy cherry types. I only know of Yellow Pear Tomato being crunchy; I haven't come up on any others. I am putting it on my must grow list!

Lindsey

o

Thanks for bumping the thread, linzelu. I share your anticipation about this variety.

I wish mjhuntingtonbeach had cut some of the fruit crosswise; I'd like to know how many locules there are.

It looks like there are many interesting genes/traits, most particularly the ribbing and possible extra locules.

o

PLEASE add me to list if you are sending seed from this beauty.

o
To missingtheobvious

I see your question about locules, I am pretty sure this variety has a standard two, although very small compressed locules. There is so much flesh on this tomato that even the two are compressed to small cavities.

I have attached a picture of two tomatoes sliced down the middle, one on top, the other one below, and you can see there is one single cavity on each side of the tomato.

Cheers.

Mike

o

Thanks, Mike. I didn't explain well.

I was wondering if, when you cut them in two around the equator (rather than from pole to pole), there were ever more than two locules. But it sounds like you're certain it's always two.

I don't have any experience with stuffers or hollow tomatoes (or bell peppers) and I thought -- from the older photos -- that perhaps the odd ribbing or denting might indicate more than two locules: deformed, partial locules, some apparently without seeds.
===

If you ever want to experiment with a multiple-locule cherry, ABC Potato Leaf had three (occasionally four) cells when I grew it last year (seed from Remy/Sample Seed). I never saw a fruit with only two cells.

o

I too am growing these out this year, and Mike, I do plan on sending you the varieties you requested ASAP, hopefully it isn't too late for you to plant them. I set your card aside and totally forgot about your request!!!!!

Thanks very much these are gonna be awesome!

CH

o

Mike would you be willing to sell some seeds of that tomato? I would like to get some when you have some if possible.....Betty

o

Betty,almost all requests for seeds happens in the seed exchange Forum here and and I want to emphasize that my post is not directed just at you , but for anyone who offers to pay money for seeds, so here's a cut and paste from the rules:

•This forum is for the purpose of exchanging material, there should be no need to mention money in any postings. If money is mentioned, the posting will be considered an advertisement and the poster will be banned.

If anyone has seeds to offer then they will usually offer them for trade in that fourm, and sometimes no trades are even wanted.

Mike has been gracious is sending seeds to a few persons, as I read above, but why not wait until there's feedback about this variety and then if good, there probably will be seeds available both commercially as well as for traded seed.

I know you're probably new here, and probably don't know about the seed exchange, link at the top of this first page. Actually I just went there and was surpised to find lots of Wants, but no takers.

With so many message sites now available, I guess those looking for seeds might find that availability varies considerably from one site to another.

Here's hoping I helped a bit.

Carolyn

o

This was such an interesting thread! I'm so glad it was brought back to the top. I'm looking forward to seeing the results of the trials and hope the seed is available commercially in the future. I've added the variety name to my "Future Growing Ideas" list and am keeping my fingers crossed. :)

o

Sorry I never intended to break any rules or get anyone banned. I have been on this site off and on for a long time but never posted on tomatoes. I will wait and see if they are ever comercially available. I usually just get tomato plants from a garden center, these just seemed so very different and interesting.

o

Betty, I know you didn't know and so for you and others I thought it might be a good idea to post what I did.

As I said above, I don't know who else Mike sent seeds to and I may have saidit above, and if I didn't,I'll say it in the following paragraph.

I know the owners of many seed sites and have for a very long time soknow them well, probably b'c I'm very old myself, LOL, and each year I send seeds for trial to those places and if they like a variety or find it to be very different then they may offer it commercially.

I think this ribbed cherry is different and one of the four folks who does seed production for me now will be growing it in NC this summer. It doesn't look like there are many seeds in those fruits, so I'll just have to see if I end up with enough to send seeds for trial, offer it in my annual seed offer elsewhere, possibly list it in the SSE YEarbooks and send to friends.

The places I usually send seeds to have included the following:

Tomato Growers Supply (TGS); I've known Linda since 1990
Heirloom Tomatoes of Airdrie, Jeff is in Canada
Glecklerseedmen, Adam is in OH
Victory Seeds, Mike is in OR
Sandhill Preservation, Glenn is in IA

In the past there were several other places, but I had to shorten the list so that there would be less competition between seed sites for the same varieties.

And with my annual seed offer there are other owners of seed sites who also request some of the varieties, especially the newest ones,

Carolyn

o

I thought I would let y'all know that everyone's posts along with the original poster started coming to my email box. I did reply to the original poster back in August 2012 and I haven't posted since. I wonder what's going on. here.

o

riograndegal, whenever I post on a thread, there is a ticky-box below the text box that says, "Check here if you would like post replies emailed to you." My guess is that you checked that box with your long-ago post and it's still active. How to deactivate it, though, I have no idea. :)

o

Kathy, exactly what you are talking about, but I never do that however my last post was ages ago and I just started getting everyones replies and only from this thread. I just thought it was weird. Josie

o

Josie, go to the bottom of this page and look for the About Us heading, and under tha tlook for the contact us link, then describe what's happening and ask Tamara, the Moderator here, about it.

Carolyn

o
The first of my tomatoes grown elsewhere

A friend was visiting here from Costa Rica over Christmas and took some seeds back home with him. The first of my kids away from home... Here is his first picture.... way to go Rodrigo!

o

its a cool looking tomato but I'll be honest- I hope it tastes better than it looks sliced which reminds me of a store tomato.

o

Hey Mike, Can you post the first number from your street address? I accidentally ripped your return label and the only thing missing is the first number from your house number. Want to send you those seeds you asked for.

Thanks,

Matt

o

Matt, that number would be "8".

macbettz - I like the flavor, very sweet tomato flavor. And when you bite down on it, it has a crunch almost like a bell pepper. Looks can be deceiving I guess.

o

So, Carolyn, please clarify for me and help me understand what you are saying. Do you/did you get these seeds from the OP, send them off to have them mass produced and then you and they will sell them commercialy?

Thanks

Emma

o

So, Carolyn, please clarify for me and help me understand what you are saying. Do you/did you get these seeds from the OP, send them off to have them mass produced and then you and they will sell them commercialy?
Thanks

Emma

&&&&&

Let me clarify Emma.

I didn't ask for seeds, Mike contacted me and offered some to me.

From a fall in Dec of 2004 when I severed all four quads in my right leg I've had to use a walker. So no more hundreds of plants and varieties each season for me.

So I decided to find varieties new to all or most, and asked initially three of my close tomato friends to help with seed production, and this year I asked a fourth person bc there were so many new varieties, Perhaps you saw my grow list which I posted here.. And they're delighted to experience new varieties, and some SSE list them as well as the ones they're growing themselves.

My plants are grown for me by Craig LeHoullier in Raleigh and shipped up to me and here at home and someone now has to do all the gardening here at home.

No, I'm not commercial at all. B/c I'm older and have been posting about tomatoes since the early 80's I know the owners of many seed sites and I send seeds for trial to some of those places and if they like them they do the seed production and sell them.Nothing back to me except thanks, which I appreciate.

I also make an annual seed offer elsewhere where I give away seeds for an SASE, no money involved and while I offer to pay postage to all areas outside the US sometimes some of those folks do send money to help cover postage.

I hope that clarifies where I'm coming from and that I'm not commercial and I essentially give away seeds to both individuals via my seed offer as well as to some commercial places of my choice. In the way past I listed lots of varieties in the annual SSE Yearbook as do many, and there is a request price, but nowhere's does it cover the cost of envelopes, padded mailers and postage, since SSE members rarely include anything for postage.

For the 2013 Yearbook I listed just a few varieties and asked for only ONE dollar for anyone anywhere for 10-15 seeds ( suggested SSE request prices are based on US/Canada and overseas, different amts for those,but I and many others don't use the suggestd SSE request prices)and that should indicate to you that I'm more interested in sharing seeds than making money although it would great if I could cover my costs, I'm deleting almost ALL of my SSE listings for next year, for many reasons.

I had a good professional career and have what I'd say is a comfortable retirement, money wise. So making money is not part of my agenda.

Finally, I don't trade seeds for several reasons but if someone sends me a new previously uncirculated heirloom variety I offer that person seeds as thanks.

Carolyn

o

Would love to hear from those growing out this little tomato. Opinions and photos would be welcomed. This have been a very interesting thread from the beginning and I anxiously await availability of the seeds.

o

I have 3 in the garden and doing well. The seeds were small compared to other tomato seeds and the seedlings were small also. Some didn't make it and the plants themselves are about 50% the size of my other tomatoes, however, they are now thriving and maybe even catching up. It has been incredibly wet and cloudy here for the past month though, so none of the tomatoes are doing as well as they normally would be at this time of year. Once they start setting fruit, I'll take some pics and upload them.

CH

o

I have read this entire thread, and I must say, being a newbie to the gardening world am AMAZED that this all started from one little plant! I too would love to help secure the "Selbo's Red Ribbed" tomato a place in anyone's garden who would like it! If you are still interested in sharing seeds, email me, my email is posted! Very, very Interesting!

o

• Posted by qaguy Sunset 21/LosAngeles (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 7, 13 at 23:26

Mine are about 5 foot tall now and doing wonderful.

One is almost ready.

Selbo's ribbed red cherry photo Selbosribbedredcherry_zps519eb2eb.jpg

Here's the plant from a couple of weeks ago. It's about
a foot taller now.

Selbo's Ribbed Red Cherry photo SelbosRedRibbedCherry_zpsd86f8841.jpg

o

I too am interested in finding out how it is doing for other people. Later in the year, I probably would be interested in trading for some seeds, if possible.

Thanks for all the info. Looks pretty unique to me.

o

Can some one please trade some of these seeds :)

Thanks and regards
G

o

Just curious - is this a potato leafed variety? The last photo posted looks like it might be.

o
Not a potato leaf variety

I've grown this tomato for around 20 years and the leaves are regular tomato leaves. The plant in the picture from qaguy just seems very robust and happy :)

o

If anybody has any of these seeda available for trade I would be so very interested! They are so cute and look so crunchy!

Thanks

o

Wow thanks for sharing. I would love to get some, so I will watch this thread to see if there are updates on how to get some.

o

Wow thanks for sharing. I would love to get some, so I will watch this thread to see if there are updates on how to get some.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here