Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mjhuntingtonbeach

A unique cherry tomato that I grow

mjhuntingtonbeach
11 years ago

About 15-20 years ago I wanted to put a cherry tomato plant into a pot on the patio of a house I was renting. There was a quirky health food store around the corner that had some tomato plants in pots and I picked one labeled "Pink Cherry". Well, the fruit turned out to be red, not pink, and very unique. I have looked all over the internet and have not found any mention of anyone growing or selling the seeds of a similar cherry tomato. They look like little red bell peppers, with folds and indentations, and range in size from average to large for a cherry tomato, the ones in my hand are about as large as they get. When you bite into one, it crunches, almost like a bell pepper and has a delicious sweet flavor. Does anyone know what variety this is, or am I in charge of the genetic future of a unique variety? I have attached some pictures I took, earlier this past week in the greener pictures, the red ones today.

Comments (89)

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

He named it Selbo's Red Ribbed.

And it's now in NC where one of the four wonderful folks do seed production for me since I no longer can having fallen in Dec of 2004 and severed all four quad muscles in my right leg, hence, I've had to use a walker since then,

If it llooks good and seed production is good, as someone said above I do send seeds for trial to certain seed sites and also sometimes SSE list a variety although I'm cutting way back on my SSE listings, as well as offering it my annual seed offer elsewhere.

I don't know who else Mike sent seeds to, but as far as the seeds to me, seeds produced this summer will go to the kinds of folks /places I mentioned above and then they grow it out in 2014 and save their own seeds, so it takes about two to three years before a new variety becomes publicaly available if all goes well..

Carolyn

• linzelu100
    10 years ago

Good name. Sorry to hear about your fall, hope your recovering. Good to see you are keeping up with seed production, even if someone else is doing the growing.

Where do u do a seed offer? I'll keep my eyes peeled at the other places you mentioned. It looks like a great snacker.
    Thanks, Lindsey

• linzelu100
    10 years ago

Carolyn,

I should also mention, that if you ever need help growing out tomato seeds I am able to help. That goes to anyone else too. I have ample space and I enjoy seed saving/preservation. I use blossom bagging methods. It is too late to help this year, but if you need help in the future you can contact me here. I live in the Blue Ridge Mountains of VA.

Lindsey

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Lindsey, sorry to say that there is no recovery from a severed quad muscle that can't be reattached, so that's the wayit is.3/4 were reattached but the fourth one, the inner one, could not so my right leg is very unstable and always will be.

And GW does not allow for other message sites to be mentioned here so I could be banned if I did so.

I've tried 3X to clarify this with Tamara, the Mod here, but, well, I still don't have an answer and I can try again.

No links from other sites can beposted here as well and in a recent thread here Ami and others were questioning that policy since message sites major function, as many of us see it, is tu share information.

Righ tnow I have enough folks to handle growouts of brand new varieties for seed production, but thanks so much for making the offer, really,

Carolyn

• linzelu100
    10 years ago

Very sorry to hear about your leg not recovering fully- that sounds like more than a fall. I take it you aren't plowing the fields by hand anymore for all those tomatoes. And it sounds like you were lucky to recover, even if not fully.

I didn't know the rule about referring to another site. I only knew of one other garden forum anyway. I may not be new to gardening, but I am very new to online gardening. It took me forever to sign up here b/c I just am not good with computers and couldn't figure it out. I think I have the hang of it now, and find it such a useful resource. I did a little research and I found the other site, so no biggee there. Thanks for the help; I am eager to try this tomato. My little girl and hubby love crunchy cherry types. I only know of Yellow Pear Tomato being crunchy; I haven't come up on any others. I am putting it on my must grow list!

Lindsey

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

Thanks for bumping the thread, linzelu. I share your anticipation about this variety.

I wish mjhuntingtonbeach had cut some of the fruit crosswise; I'd like to know how many locules there are.

It looks like there are many interesting genes/traits, most particularly the ribbing and possible extra locules.

• greenlott
    10 years ago

PLEASE add me to list if you are sending seed from this beauty.

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I see your question about locules, I am pretty sure this variety has a standard two, although very small compressed locules. There is so much flesh on this tomato that even the two are compressed to small cavities.

I have attached a picture of two tomatoes sliced down the middle, one on top, the other one below, and you can see there is one single cavity on each side of the tomato.

Cheers.

Mike

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

Thanks, Mike. I didn't explain well.

I was wondering if, when you cut them in two around the equator (rather than from pole to pole), there were ever more than two locules. But it sounds like you're certain it's always two.

I don't have any experience with stuffers or hollow tomatoes (or bell peppers) and I thought -- from the older photos -- that perhaps the odd ribbing or denting might indicate more than two locules: deformed, partial locules, some apparently without seeds.
    ===

If you ever want to experiment with a multiple-locule cherry, ABC Potato Leaf had three (occasionally four) cells when I grew it last year (seed from Remy/Sample Seed). I never saw a fruit with only two cells.

• coconut_head
    10 years ago

I too am growing these out this year, and Mike, I do plan on sending you the varieties you requested ASAP, hopefully it isn't too late for you to plant them. I set your card aside and totally forgot about your request!!!!!

Thanks very much these are gonna be awesome!

CH

• FlowerGardener
    10 years ago

Mike would you be willing to sell some seeds of that tomato? I would like to get some when you have some if possible.....Betty

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Betty,almost all requests for seeds happens in the seed exchange Forum here and and I want to emphasize that my post is not directed just at you , but for anyone who offers to pay money for seeds, so here's a cut and paste from the rules:

â¢This forum is for the purpose of exchanging material, there should be no need to mention money in any postings. If money is mentioned, the posting will be considered an advertisement and the poster will be banned.

If anyone has seeds to offer then they will usually offer them for trade in that fourm, and sometimes no trades are even wanted.

Mike has been gracious is sending seeds to a few persons, as I read above, but why not wait until there's feedback about this variety and then if good, there probably will be seeds available both commercially as well as for traded seed.

I know you're probably new here, and probably don't know about the seed exchange, link at the top of this first page. Actually I just went there and was surpised to find lots of Wants, but no takers.

With so many message sites now available, I guess those looking for seeds might find that availability varies considerably from one site to another.

Here's hoping I helped a bit.

Carolyn

• kathyb912_in (5a/5b, Central IN)
    10 years ago

This was such an interesting thread! I'm so glad it was brought back to the top. I'm looking forward to seeing the results of the trials and hope the seed is available commercially in the future. I've added the variety name to my "Future Growing Ideas" list and am keeping my fingers crossed. :)

• FlowerGardener
    10 years ago

Sorry I never intended to break any rules or get anyone banned. I have been on this site off and on for a long time but never posted on tomatoes. I will wait and see if they are ever comercially available. I usually just get tomato plants from a garden center, these just seemed so very different and interesting.

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Betty, I know you didn't know and so for you and others I thought it might be a good idea to post what I did.

As I said above, I don't know who else Mike sent seeds to and I may have saidit above, and if I didn't,I'll say it in the following paragraph.

I know the owners of many seed sites and have for a very long time soknow them well, probably b'c I'm very old myself, LOL, and each year I send seeds for trial to those places and if they like a variety or find it to be very different then they may offer it commercially.

I think this ribbed cherry is different and one of the four folks who does seed production for me now will be growing it in NC this summer. It doesn't look like there are many seeds in those fruits, so I'll just have to see if I end up with enough to send seeds for trial, offer it in my annual seed offer elsewhere, possibly list it in the SSE YEarbooks and send to friends.

The places I usually send seeds to have included the following:

Tomato Growers Supply (TGS); I've known Linda since 1990
    Heirloom Tomatoes of Airdrie, Jeff is in Canada
    Glecklerseedmen, Adam is in OH
    Victory Seeds, Mike is in OR
    Sandhill Preservation, Glenn is in IA

In the past there were several other places, but I had to shorten the list so that there would be less competition between seed sites for the same varieties.

And with my annual seed offer there are other owners of seed sites who also request some of the varieties, especially the newest ones,

Carolyn

• riograndegal
    10 years ago

I thought I would let y'all know that everyone's posts along with the original poster started coming to my email box. I did reply to the original poster back in August 2012 and I haven't posted since. I wonder what's going on. here.

• kathyb912_in (5a/5b, Central IN)
    10 years ago

riograndegal, whenever I post on a thread, there is a ticky-box below the text box that says, "Check here if you would like post replies emailed to you." My guess is that you checked that box with your long-ago post and it's still active. How to deactivate it, though, I have no idea. :)

• riograndegal
    10 years ago

Kathy, exactly what you are talking about, but I never do that however my last post was ages ago and I just started getting everyones replies and only from this thread. I just thought it was weird. Josie

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Josie, go to the bottom of this page and look for the About Us heading, and under tha tlook for the contact us link, then describe what's happening and ask Tamara, the Moderator here, about it.

Carolyn

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A friend was visiting here from Costa Rica over Christmas and took some seeds back home with him. The first of my kids away from home... Here is his first picture.... way to go Rodrigo!

• macbettz
    10 years ago

its a cool looking tomato but I'll be honest- I hope it tastes better than it looks sliced which reminds me of a store tomato.

• coconut_head
    10 years ago

Hey Mike, Can you post the first number from your street address? I accidentally ripped your return label and the only thing missing is the first number from your house number. Want to send you those seeds you asked for.

Thanks,

Matt

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Matt, that number would be "8".

macbettz - I like the flavor, very sweet tomato flavor. And when you bite down on it, it has a crunch almost like a bell pepper. Looks can be deceiving I guess.

• Erod1
    10 years ago

So, Carolyn, please clarify for me and help me understand what you are saying. Do you/did you get these seeds from the OP, send them off to have them mass produced and then you and they will sell them commercialy?

Thanks

Emma

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

So, Carolyn, please clarify for me and help me understand what you are saying. Do you/did you get these seeds from the OP, send them off to have them mass produced and then you and they will sell them commercialy?
    Thanks

Emma

&&&&&

Let me clarify Emma.

I didn't ask for seeds, Mike contacted me and offered some to me.

From a fall in Dec of 2004 when I severed all four quads in my right leg I've had to use a walker. So no more hundreds of plants and varieties each season for me.

So I decided to find varieties new to all or most, and asked initially three of my close tomato friends to help with seed production, and this year I asked a fourth person bc there were so many new varieties, Perhaps you saw my grow list which I posted here.. And they're delighted to experience new varieties, and some SSE list them as well as the ones they're growing themselves.

My plants are grown for me by Craig LeHoullier in Raleigh and shipped up to me and here at home and someone now has to do all the gardening here at home.

No, I'm not commercial at all. B/c I'm older and have been posting about tomatoes since the early 80's I know the owners of many seed sites and I send seeds for trial to some of those places and if they like them they do the seed production and sell them.Nothing back to me except thanks, which I appreciate.

I also make an annual seed offer elsewhere where I give away seeds for an SASE, no money involved and while I offer to pay postage to all areas outside the US sometimes some of those folks do send money to help cover postage.

I hope that clarifies where I'm coming from and that I'm not commercial and I essentially give away seeds to both individuals via my seed offer as well as to some commercial places of my choice. In the way past I listed lots of varieties in the annual SSE Yearbook as do many, and there is a request price, but nowhere's does it cover the cost of envelopes, padded mailers and postage, since SSE members rarely include anything for postage.

For the 2013 Yearbook I listed just a few varieties and asked for only ONE dollar for anyone anywhere for 10-15 seeds ( suggested SSE request prices are based on US/Canada and overseas, different amts for those,but I and many others don't use the suggestd SSE request prices)and that should indicate to you that I'm more interested in sharing seeds than making money although it would great if I could cover my costs, I'm deleting almost ALL of my SSE listings for next year, for many reasons.

I had a good professional career and have what I'd say is a comfortable retirement, money wise. So making money is not part of my agenda.

Finally, I don't trade seeds for several reasons but if someone sends me a new previously uncirculated heirloom variety I offer that person seeds as thanks.

Carolyn

• bggrows
    10 years ago

Would love to hear from those growing out this little tomato. Opinions and photos would be welcomed. This have been a very interesting thread from the beginning and I anxiously await availability of the seeds.

• coconut_head
    10 years ago

I have 3 in the garden and doing well. The seeds were small compared to other tomato seeds and the seedlings were small also. Some didn't make it and the plants themselves are about 50% the size of my other tomatoes, however, they are now thriving and maybe even catching up. It has been incredibly wet and cloudy here for the past month though, so none of the tomatoes are doing as well as they normally would be at this time of year. Once they start setting fruit, I'll take some pics and upload them.

CH

• LogyMcKae
    10 years ago

I have read this entire thread, and I must say, being a newbie to the gardening world am AMAZED that this all started from one little plant! I too would love to help secure the "Selbo's Red Ribbed" tomato a place in anyone's garden who would like it! If you are still interested in sharing seeds, email me, my email is posted! Very, very Interesting!

• qaguy
    10 years ago

Mine are about 5 foot tall now and doing wonderful.

One is almost ready.

Here's the plant from a couple of weeks ago. It's about
    a foot taller now.

• fcivish
    10 years ago

I too am interested in finding out how it is doing for other people. Later in the year, I probably would be interested in trading for some seeds, if possible.

Thanks for all the info. Looks pretty unique to me.

• gmanar
    10 years ago

Can some one please trade some of these seeds :)

Thanks and regards
    G

• ddsack
    10 years ago

Just curious - is this a potato leafed variety? The last photo posted looks like it might be.

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've grown this tomato for around 20 years and the leaves are regular tomato leaves. The plant in the picture from qaguy just seems very robust and happy :)

• ZenYang
    10 years ago

If anybody has any of these seeda available for trade I would be so very interested! They are so cute and look so crunchy!

Thanks

• MzTeaze
    10 years ago

Wow thanks for sharing. I would love to get some, so I will watch this thread to see if there are updates on how to get some.

• MzTeaze
    10 years ago

Wow thanks for sharing. I would love to get some, so I will watch this thread to see if there are updates on how to get some.

• beckylc
    8 years ago

I just found this thread when I was searching for something. Wish I had seen it earlier! On the off chance that mjhuntingtonbeach sees this and is still sharing seeds, please email me! I'm lusting after this plant. :-) Fashacat@gmail.com

• lartomato
    8 years ago

Likewise-- if any body has this for trade please email me

LAR

lpulle.pullen@gmail.com

• ncrealestateguy
    8 years ago

Same here.. I would like to try these. A Google search does not show it being sold commercially anywhere.

I have a pink / black beefsteak that is my most productive large tomato, and produces well into Fall that I can trade. It was labeled as a beefsteak watermenlon, and the guy I got it from swears he did not mislabel it... so, who knows what it is.

• carolyn137
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

As noted above,Mike sent me seeds.I had 4 seed producers work with it since it has so few seeds. I did not send it to any commercial places since opinions from here as well as my seed producers were not that enthusiastic about taste at all, and we thought it was of more interest to those who breed tomatoes.

I have lots of seeds for it, but am in absolutely no position to send seeds to anyone since I'm so far behind on getting all my newest varieties out to my seed producers,so very late,and still don't have my huge seed offer up,now over a year late now.

Yes,I will be offering seeds for it in my seed offer elsewhere, but one has to be a registered member at that site to participate in any seed offers.There are also many commercial tomato breeders there, and that's a plus.

The Amish have a saying that the faster one goes,the behinder one gets,and that's about where I am right now with my to do list.LOL

I have no idea whatsoever how active the seed exchange is here now, but if still active have any of you thought about asking for seeds there?

Lastly, as far as I know a person can be banned here if another messenge site is mentioned,

I've tried to clarify if that is still true here now,, with no response,and same goes for any PM's sent to me or anyone asking for specific anything,I'm sorry about that,but not my rules,not my guidelines.

Carolyn

• ncrealestateguy
    8 years ago

Count me out if it does not have good taste. That is my #1 criteria. Too bad. The way it looked sliced open kind of had me thinking that it may taste a bit mealy and bland.

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    7 years ago

That's my tomato there, and personally I love the taste - very sweet, and the crunch that goes with it is amazing. I have heard reports that at least a few others concurred with my taste opinion. These are in no way mealy - like I've said before, the crunch is almost similar to a bell pepper at times.

I've since crossed it with a Joe's Pink Oxheart and an Indigo Rose. I'm looking forward to seeing what the F2 generation of that cross produces fruit wise. Here are pictures of the two crosses, and the original ribbed tomato that I took last year. The larger in the upper left are the cross with Joe's Pink Oxheart, the purple tinged at the bottom are the cross with Indigo Rose, and the upper right are my original tomato. I have seeds planted of the two crosses to try out this year. Should be interesting.

• carolyn137
    7 years ago

Mike, I love your crosses, especially the Joe's one,I really do and my seed offer elsewhere keeps getting moved back, but know that Selbos is there and since it is so unique I'll probably link to this thread,which I already have in my faves.

Be sure to update elsewhere about yourcrosses as well.

And for sure opinions will differ for Selbo as they differ for almost every variety, just too many darn variables involved, including a human genetic component also linked to taste perception.

Carolyn

• kchd
    7 years ago

Mike, fascinating thread. Commenting here so that I can get notified of new posts. I'd also enjoy reading about your new crosses.

Hi Carolyn! I sent you an email about a month ago, Mar 18 but not sure if you got it.

• Mary Leek
    7 years ago

Enjoyed learning about the history of this little tomato. Thanks to all who contributed to the thread.

• ootockalockatuvik_7a
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Looks like a mini Canestrino variety. Very cool.

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    7 years ago

It looks more like a plum tomato, to me, with some resemblance to SanMarzano.

Anyway, did it get a name ?

Sey

• carolyn137
    7 years ago

Sey, the name is Selbo's Ribbed Red which was agreed to by Mike.

I do have lots of seeds but I cannot offer them to those who want them, and that for several reasons. What I can do is to ask Sey if I send him seeds he can distribute them here to those who want them.

Also noting that even with fresh seeds, mine are only a couple of years old, the germination is not all that good at least in my experience and those who produced seeds for me from what Mike sent initially..

So if Sey has time he can contact me elsewhere, not here,and we can go from there,and if he doesn't have time,well that's it.

Carolyn, also noting that it's too late to work with them for this summer IMO,regardless of what gardening zones might be involved.

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    7 years ago

An update on my two crosses from last year. I saved seeds from the F1 cross with my Ribbed Red and Indigo Rose and Joe's Pink Oxheart. Here is what I have popping up so far in the F2's:

Selbo's Ribbed Red x Indigo Rose:

So, not much evidence of anthocyanins except in the first one, but that one has some minor ribbing. Only significant ribbing in one, but much different from my original tomato.

Selbo's Ribbed Red x Joe's Pink Oxheart:

Summary: So far only one seems to take after it's heart shaped father, and looks like it might attain some size. But like Joe's Pink Oxheart, not productive for me at all. So far only the large tomato and three further up the plant, the rest of the blossoms have fallen off. The rest are largely turning out smaller in size, more productive, and mostly highly ribbed but again, more like traditional ribbed tomatoes with pronounced ribs vertically striping the fruit. There are a few others that appear to be destined to be small tomatoes, with more heart shape to them, less ribbing, but not many fruit produced so far. The fruit clusters are all mostly like those of tomatoes of larger size, unlike the Indigo rose crosses that all appear in long trusses.

Assuming bugs or disease don't kill any of these off, it will be interesting to see what happens over the summer as they start to ripen.

Sponsored
WellCraft Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars61 Reviews
Virginia’s Full Service Design-Build Remodeling Company