Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cecropiia

Early Girl Tomato Plant Wilting - Pruning?

cecropiia
11 years ago

I searched the forums and found a few answers as to why my early girl tomato plant may be wilting. I put a water plate beneath the pot and, sure enough, the low soil started sucking up the water like a shriveled sponge. Already the plant is showing signs of perking up, the few tomatoes on the plant are healthy and overall there doesn't seem to be any signs of pests or caterpillars infestation. So, I'm hopeful. But what I have noticed is that the plant isn't yielding very much fruit; it has maybe 10-15 right now (due to a storm this past week, the plant took a topple and lost most of its young fruit before I was able to shelter it), but it has a lot of leaf at the base and the top (primarily the top).

Despite being dehydrated, it's still got tons of young leaves trying to thrive. My question is, should I be pruning it? And what should I be pruning? Do I allow the new leaves to keep growing - and what about the larger ones? I should also mention that these leaves are not on fruit-bearing stems, and they're several stems away from ones that are fruit-bearing. I didn't want to over-prune, so some advice would be great! I can post pictures if necessary.

I'm pretty new at this, and this plant was just a $7 "tester" plant from a local greenhouse. (By tester I mean- it was just a little investment to see if I could keep something alive for more than a week.. haha..)

Comments (3)