Houzz Logo Print
baygrower

This years tomato patch

baygrower
14 years ago

July 1st. Grew 76 total. 75 percent for canning

{{gwi:303999}}

July 30

Sunroom is full.I start canning friday.I get 200 quarts on average out of 50 canning plants.Have lost 1 of 75 plants so far with no plants looking bad at moment.....

Comments (11)

• austinnhanasmom
    14 years ago

WONDERFUL!!

Thanks for the photos so I can show the people in my life that I'm not the only crazy one...

That's a lot of cages...The plants and fruits look GREAT!!

• holly-2006
    14 years ago

That's a beautiful garden!

• kiddo_1
    14 years ago

FABULOUS!!! Jaw-dropping pics! You obviously have the magic touch.... (yeah, right -- it's all hard work I'm sure! ;-) )

Kris

• sprtsguy76
    14 years ago

I'll trade you my postage stamp plot for your huge plot, do we have a deal? Seriously, everything looks really nice. I hope you have some help on hand with a harvest and a plot like that!

Damon

• mojavebob
    14 years ago

Inspirational. Now name those maters.

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    14 years ago

That is a beautiful garden!!

If only mine looked so well tended.

Cindy

• baygrower
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone.My mother and i have been gardening as a team all my life.I am 6'2 230 and she is 4'11 110 LOL-I think that shows the labor breakdown.Everything we grow is started from seed in my growroom-allows us to find varities that hold up to all the extremes.

All the tomatoes were Burpee this year.I know no heirlooms, but work took me out of country and mom went with what is reliable...

30 little mama canning tomato- massive production last 4 years

15 Big mama-mom likes size.Less productive and have genetic leaf curl(ugly)but mom loves- grown10 years

10 big boy-gotta keep the BLT folks happy

Tangerine mama-tasty,pretty

Golden mama-Pictured earlier- tasty

Sweet baby girl- big and juicy cherry

Black pearl cherry- Mom my veto these next year

I would like to grow some yellow cherries next year.

Will keep pics updated now that i figured it out.

• structure
    14 years ago

You are hard working to get that size garden in and keep it tidy. Not to mention all the canning you'll be doing. But what a great thing. I'd love to have that kind of space!

I'm sure if you get the time next year, you'll be inspired to put in some OP varieties? Half the fun IMO.

• ChefLisbeth
    14 years ago

**Picking up jaw**

*glacing to my 4x8 'mater patch*

*eyeing wasted space housing derilict boat*

*reaching for phone to have said boat hauled off, to make room for more tomato plants!*

I wish my mom lived closer so we could can together like that. Sounds like work...but fun work!

• dancinglemons
    14 years ago

FAN-TAS-TIC !!

I am speechless!! Simply beautiful garden!!

DL

• baygrower
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks folks...I should mention my brother and sisters can from this garden, but mom and i do the work.However, they process their tomatoes from patch-mom wouldnt have it any other way....

Here is the whole 160x 80 foot plot

Right to left

Garlic peas and leeks in front of pepper and tomato-march
    {{gwi:1381666}}

{{gwi:1381671}}

Garden in feb
    {{gwi:303993}}