Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fall Tomatoes

Posted by jrslick KS/5 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 30, 11 at 16:31

I started a fall tomato patch, ok really late fall, but since they are in one of my high tunnels, I should be able to keep them going until Thanksgiving.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Then I am trialing some new cherry tomatoes in hanging baskets. I found some new seed options and wanted to try them out. Rambling Gold Stripe, Rambling Red Stripe, Pear Drops and Tumbling Tiger. These were from Swallowtail Seeds. I just checked out their site and now they have many more options.

I have been growing and selling these hanging baskets for 4 years, but now I am thinking I could also just grow, pick and sell the tomatoes in addition to my regular cherry tomatoes.

Photobucket

I have had these hanging baskets for 4 years now. Just empty out, wash and reuse. Fill with Al's mix, plant and water. Very simple and you can harvest standing up!

Jay

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fall Tomatoes

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 30, 11 at 16:49

Hi Jay

Your fall tomatoes look really good!
I planted last season Tumbling Tiger from the same source and I really like their size, looks and taste. I planted them again for my fall tomatoes which are all outside already.

Tumbling Tiger last season

Photobucket

And I planted them again for the fall season

Photobucket

Silvia

o

Silvia,

Are the tumbling tiger almost a black tomato with stripes?

Jay

o

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 31, 11 at 13:30

Jay, yes I was wondering about that too. It has green and red stripes, sort of elongated shape and they are bigger than a cherry. I got a lot of tomatoes out of only 1 plant, this season I planted few, 2 for me and others for friends. I am sure that it will be a big seller at the market, they do look good in salads.
I will be waiting on your review of the other tomatoes to see if they are worth growing them.

Silvia

o

I am glad to hear the size is bigger than a cherry. I am hoping these will be a nice addition to our late fall/early winter salads. If they are really good and staying productive, we planned to move a few (Maybe 10-20) baskets into a south facing room with all windows and keep them going all winter long. We did that several years ago with one basket.

Jay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here