Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
one_eyed_pony

POST your Tomato Pictures for this 2008 season

one_eyed_pony
15 years ago

Here's a few of the this years harvest I picked yesterday. This year I was 2 weeks late planting and the weather also delayed growth of the tomatoes. I threw the Anaheim and Ancho peppers for contrast/color scaling. The Cherokee Purples, Robesons and Jersey Devils are AWESOME... heck they're all great this year, just late.

What I have in the pics:

Brandy Sudduth

Paul Robeson

Ramapo (New Improved Rutgers)

Black Cherry

Marianna's Peace

Purple Calabash

San Marzanos (small)

Ancho Pepper

Anaheim Pepper

Comments (25)

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

Hi one eyed pony - Good looking tomatoes! ;)

But I'm curious. Do you find that using that type of tomato cages upside like in the picture works better?

Dave

• sprtsguy76
    15 years ago

Blam! CG,ARGG,BFT,CP and UH.

• vegjoe
    15 years ago

• one_eyed_pony
    Original Author
    15 years ago

* Posted by digdirt 6 -7 AR Wed, Aug 6, 08 at 18:31

Hi one eyed pony - Good looking tomatoes! ;)
    But I'm curious. Do you find that using that type of tomato cages upside like in the picture works better?

Dave

Thanx! Those cages were a gift, and are too small for indeterminate tomato plants. They are Ideal to use for PEPPER plants. The ANCHO pepper plants are now 3-4 ft & Anaheims are 2-3 ft with tons of heavy weighted peppers. Great pepper crop this year. I will be making my own tomato cages with the 6' SHEEP fence from Home Depot next year.

Here's some AWESOME giant SAN MARZANOS pics, BTW, are sweet and deep RED inside:

• daylilydude
    15 years ago

Here are a few of mine! Let's see there are Green Copia, Pink Brandywine, Pink Ping Pong, Summer Cider, Arbuznyi, Black Plum.

{{gwi:1381910}}

• containerted
    15 years ago

This is two harvests, 2 days apart from my 19 containers (no earth boxes yet).
    {{gwi:1381911}}

Lots of cherry types, Supersweet 100, Sun Gold, Yellow Pear, Husky Red Cherry. Others are Siberian, Supertasty, Subarctic Plenty, Roma, Celebrity, Golden Jubilee, Cherokee Purple, Sunmaster, Talladega, and Heatwave
    {{gwi:1381913}}

Clockwise from the bright yellow Golden Jubilee are: Subarctic Plenty, Celebrity, Sunmaster, another Sunmaster, Talladega, Super Tasty, Heatwave and Cherokee Purple in the center. It weighed 14.85 ozs.
    {{gwi:1381915}}

CanÂt wait til this Big Rainbow Megabloom grows up and fills out. Hope it gets to the ripening point.
    {{gwi:1381917}}
    And, last but not least, this Supersteak is already bigger than the Cherokee Purple in the third picture above.
    {{gwi:1381919}}

• kcmo_don
    15 years ago

Here are mine.....
    Mariana's Peace, Carbon, Paul Robeson, HUMPH, WES, German Red Strawberry, Eva Purple ball, KB a few cherries, and some others :)

• sumilea2008
    15 years ago

From my Balcony Garden

• wenderina
    15 years ago

WOW! I had dinner just a couple of hours ago but these photos make me hungry again, YUM! Love seeing all these photos, from the bountiful harvest spreads to the artistic photos. Everything looks so impressive!

sumilea2008, I love your balcony setup.

pony: what's that super-pleated one?

sprtsguy76: what are those reddish ones on the left that come to a point?

kcmo: what's going on with that one tomato? fantastic photoshop skills? looks cool.

Here are a few of mine.
    CPs, EGs, Black Trifele, Sungold Cherries

CP

EG

• dave1mn2
    15 years ago

Very nice all!

I'm a new sucker for those emerald green shoulders. On our CPs and Carbons, the taste is good even there. Not something I'm used to.

I don't have anything photo worthy right now. We've had gobs of rain and heat, so we have gobs of splitting. I hate picking them so green. The plants are having fun though and AGG is finally blushing.

A recent storm blew over a heavily laiden, containered, OTV and knocked several off. Several branches and trusses on some of the others have been badly kinked. Thought I had em tied up well enough ... Couldda been worse.

• winchesterva
    15 years ago

Persimmon, CP, Mortgage Lifter, Black Krim, Sweet 100, Roma and Green Zebra
    {{gwi:1381932}}

• penguingardener
    15 years ago

Wow, you folks are really harvesting!

Below is my first harvest from Wednesday:
    {{gwi:1381933}}
    Mostly Cherry Roma, Snow White Cherry, a couple of pineapple tomatillo, a German Red Strawberry and a token pepper.

• gman68558
    15 years ago

Clockwise from top left, four Momotaro, three Prudens Purple, three Goose Creek, some Peacevine Cherry, a couple of figs, some Martino's Roma, a bunch of Black Krim and some New Big Dwarf:

From this balcony garden:

Tomatoes around the perimeter and peppers in the interior. I also have a smaller balcony upstairs with the Black Krim, Momotaro and a few figs.

• joytwo1839
    15 years ago

Finally -here they are!
    This is after we have already made salsa, sauce, canned tomatoes anf given bunches away. I don't know which is which but I have Ark Tr. Little Pink, Rutger, Italian Mkt and Manulousia (SP?)
    BTW, does anyone know why they crack?
    {{gwi:1381935}}

• jennypenny_gardener
    15 years ago

My Sun Gold Cherries are finally starting to turn orange. I ate these two a few days after the photo was taken, and they were GREAT!

• soultan
    15 years ago

Joytwo1839,
    Try not to post two large pictures next to each other, so the page doesn't distort and pull out all the text horizontally. When you create a post, there is a preview page before final posting, so you can see how your creation will look like, and you can make changes to fix it, if you see mistakes like that.
    Great tomato display by the way... You must have a lot of friends. :o)

{{gwi:419122}}
    Yellow Pears in the making

{{gwi:423645}}
    Sun Gold ripening

{{gwi:419123}}
    Sun Gold just before being devoured

• franki1962
    15 years ago

First non-cherry of the season
    Paul Robeson

Seed patten, it was good not great but it was the first from this plant

• organic_mamag
    15 years ago

This is what I have on my counter today:
    A bag of romas for the freezer surrounded by (from upper left): Beef Steak, Better Boy, Cherokee Purple, Sweet Million, and a grape variety.

• rocklandguyZ8,SC
    15 years ago

Big Zac Tomato picked 8/11/08 - 30.5 oz.

• sprtsguy76
    15 years ago

Nearly two pounds! Nice!

• tessa74
    15 years ago

two pounds??!! i see a number 3 up there. anyways, great pics everyone!

• daylilydude
    15 years ago

1.906 25 pound = 30.5 ounce

• cyumickey
    15 years ago

Picked most of these today, a couple yesterday:

from 2 of my plants. not sure if that orange one is ripe yet...it's a fake "mr stripey" - "white" ones are snow white cherry...

• tomatogreenthumb
    15 years ago

This is the largest of the first two ripe Carbon tomatoes I have picked so far this summer. Not as black but at 22 oz., larger than I expected.

• one_eyed_pony
    Original Author
    15 years ago

These were picked today:

1 Jersey Devil - Excellent!
    1 Eva Purple Ball
    3 San Marzano Regorta
    2 Thessaloniki
    1 Ramapo
    2 Black Krim
    1 Beefmaster
    1 Sweet Purple Bell Pepper for contrast