Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodcutter2008

In Praise of Moravsky Div Tomato

woodcutter2008
12 years ago

I bought seed from Victory Seed Co., and planted this fairly late -- early July transplants. It is producing now, and worth another look next year. The fruit are 2-3 oz. with a few bigger, but those are usually "doubles." Not terribly sweet, but definitely a good strong tomato flavor. Determinate, and a smaller plant than other potato leaf "early" varieties that I have grown. Definitely larger tomatoes for me than Kotlas, probably equal to Stupice. Probably still not comparable in most respects to Early Girl, but a useful OP addition.

-WC2K8

Comments (9)

• woodcutter2008
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I did notice that, Carolyn.

As with so many tomato things, "thank-you!"

-WC2K8

• pappabell
    9 years ago

Tried to make a post in tom ville about this variety,but kept getting transferred to damn advertisments,think that site needs to be cleaned up by the owners.Anyway,I`m going to grow the Moravsky Div next year based on carolyns advise.After reading all that can be told about this variety ive determined that when stupice was introduced to this country years ago it was really a hybrid at that time,NOT A OP.........And with all the hype,everyone growing it,has come up with slightly different varietys because it was a hybrid and had to be grown out.Just my opinion.Ive been growing tomatoes for a very long time,and there is just too many variables in this variety across the country.....

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

Pappabell,please read the history given in the link at the bottom. Stupice was never a hybrid, ever, and in Tania's page for it, below, quite a bit of information came from a person in the Czech Republic who has been a treasure to many with his knowledge of tomatoes bred in the former Czechoslovakia.

There is also some information that Moravsky Div may be related to one of the 4 stable Stupice versions,

I have no idea what you are referring to with respect to ads at the other site since there are none. I think you e-mailed me once about membership, but I don't have time to track that down.

So please e-mail me at cmale@aol.com and bring me up to date as to what's going on.

Thank you,

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: four OP versions of Stupice

• sheltieche
    9 years ago

I've grown Moravsky Div first time this year and found it to be semi det at least, with one big flush and then continuous production well into fall, prefect container specimen too. I stopped growing Early Girl long time ago as it does not cut in taste for me.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Good reviews.

So if Moravsky Div is similar to Stupice (fruit wise ) but it is semi-det , I might grow it in place of Stupice, as I am dropping it. I am switching to dets and semi-dets, cause they require less space and are better manageable.

One more thing: I grew both Stupice and Bloody Butcher. To me their fruits are almost identical in size and shape (lobed instead of round).

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

One more thing: I grew both Stupice and Bloody Butcher. To me their fruits are almost identical in size and shape (lobed instead of round).

&&&&&&

If both were lobed and not round you either had the wrong seeds or there was some kind of weather effect although I can't tell you what since I've grown both many times and always round,

At the bottom of this post is a link for Stupice showing the round fruits and here's one for Bloody Butcher and if you click on where it says more pictures you can see more round fruits.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Bloody_Butcher

All four Stupices bred in the now Czech Republic and Bloody Butcher bred by Sahin Seeds in the Netherlands, and I'm not sure why Tania made mention of Tom Wagner, well I do, but he had nothing to do with BB,

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Stupices ( plural)

• Mokinu
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

@woodcutter2008. Feel free to leave a review for Moravsky Div at victoryseeds.com. I noticed when looking for information on this tomato that it didn't have any reviews there. (And then I found this thread next.) A good tomato deserves good reviews.

• Mokinu
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Does anyone here know if Moravsky Div is well-suited for desert-type climates like Punta Banda (which I've seen compared to this)? Here's where I saw the comparison: http://seedtreasures.com/seed-catalog/