Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
In Praise of Moravsky Div Tomato

Posted by woodcutter2008 5b (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 22, 11 at 16:42

I bought seed from Victory Seed Co., and planted this fairly late -- early July transplants. It is producing now, and worth another look next year. The fruit are 2-3 oz. with a few bigger, but those are usually "doubles." Not terribly sweet, but definitely a good strong tomato flavor. Determinate, and a smaller plant than other potato leaf "early" varieties that I have grown. Definitely larger tomatoes for me than Kotlas, probably equal to Stupice. Probably still not comparable in most respects to Early Girl, but a useful OP addition.
-WC2K8

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: In Praise of Moravsky Div Tomato

And if you go back to Victory Seeds and read the blurb you'll see that I was the one who sent the seeds to Mike, my seeds from Andrey in Minsk, Belarus.

When I first grew it I knew it was a winner and I obviously do like it very much, and each year I try to send the best of what I've grown to those seed places where I know the owners and share their philosophies, so that includea Mike Dunton at Victory, Glenn Drowns at Sandhill, Adam Gleckler at Gleckler Seeds, Jeff Casey of Heirloom Tomatoes of Airdrie ( sp?) and Tania, who like Jeff is also in Canada. Over the years I've sent a lot of seeds to Linda Sapp at Tomato Growers Supply, I've known her since 1991, but right now she's way behind in trialing varieties.

I'm so glad you like it, I really am. And you'll find quite a few others that I've sent Mike for trial that I also feel strongly about and was glad when he listed them.

I've grown Stupice and Matina and Kimberly and Bloody Butcher and Sophie's Choice, all earlies, and like MDiv the best for both taste and production. I have to laugh a bit when I read Glenn Drowns comment in his catalog where he said he set out 4 inch transplants and had ripe fruits 43 days after that.

Carolyn

o
RE: In Praise of Moravsky Div Tomato

I did notice that, Carolyn.

As with so many tomato things, "thank-you!"

-WC2K8

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here