Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thw1_gw

tomatoes still not red

thw1
10 years ago

I planted my tomatoes on mothers day and they are still green I have a few plum that turned red but they taste alful any sugestions?

Comments (10)

• sjetski
    10 years ago

Not the ideal year for many, especially NJ, this cooler weather that recently set in can make ripening take longer.

Suggestions? Water consistently, deeply BUT sparingly (and always keep recent rainfall in mind when watering). Water slightly more in 90 degree weather and slightly less in this cooler weather. Pick tomatoes as they start to blush & let them ripen on the counter, this prevents them from cracking or turning waterlogged from surprise heavy rainstorms.

You may have some varieties that are naturally late, and planting too early on Mother's Day may have set them back some (May 12th, bad growing weather during that time period). Also, plum tomatoes are not normally known to have "great" taste, they make a smooth-mellow sauce, but for fresh eating they aren't always the greatest. It also depends on the type of plum tomato and it's growing conditions.

This post was edited by sjetski on Sun, Aug 18, 13 at 17:18

• jerseygirl07603 z6NJ
    10 years ago

Same problem here. Have a few ripe plums and cherries but that's about it. I think it was chilly spring then 3 heat waves, then hungry squirrels. Worst year for tomatoes ever. For me anyway.

• BlueEyedGardenMaster
    10 years ago

Dont water your plants until the leaves start wilting. if you water too much then the tomato's will take longer to turn red. when your plant is loaded with green tomato's its time to cut back the watering... when the leaves wilt then its asking for water. I only watered my tomato's when leaves wilted and my tomato roots went deep enough to find my water table. I never have to water now. and my plants are healthy and about 15 feet tall now.

• BlueEyedGardenMaster
    10 years ago

Mine are healthy with a great yield. I never water any more now that my roots are deep in ground.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Very nice foliage.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

Have you had any ripe ones yet off those monsters? My heirlooms look awful, but the fruit is starting to turn color. Nothing yellow/orange (maybe a lighter green? But I'm still waiting to pick) yet on the hybrids, and 1 (just 1) turning orange on the volunteer cherry tomato that ate my compost bin (6ft tall and 9ft wide).

• esbo
    10 years ago

@ BlueEyedGardenMaster

Looks like Jack and the beanstalk!!

• kentstar
    10 years ago

Place them on the counter but on their stem side or "upside down". It works wonders for me and they don't spoil as fast either!

• gardenwheels
    10 years ago

Mine have been late ripening too, but they've grown well, full of fruit, and the heat of the past few days has started the late summer deluge. First Black Krim and Mr. Stripey came in today. Brandywine and Mortgage Lifter should be ready in the next 2-3 days.

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

Yeah, mine are really putting out with this awesome weather lately. I'm still waiting for my Hawaiian Pineapple bi-colors though. There are some green monsters on the vine, but no blush yet. One must be 1.5lbs. At least the shoulders aren't cracked, and if they have to stay on the vine for another 10 days, so be it. Weather is supposed to stay great for at least another week.