Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ju1234_gw

Dallas Tx: would like to buy/share tomatoes from you

ju1234
9 years ago

Any one in Dallas TX area: if you have tomatoes growing in your garden, I would like to come get samplers for taste (and can bring you some of mine), or buy it from you.

With so many varieties of tomatoes around, it is impossible to grow to find if i like them or not. I just thought that if I can taste some grown by others, that would make the job much easier.

I like the sweet low acid ones. In fact the acidic tomatoes corrode my tongue almost immediately after eating it.

Thanks in advance. Please send me an email.

Comments (5)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

I would think a city the size of Dallas would have several Farmer's Markets, no? That is the best place to try many different varieties and a good source of open-pollinated seeds too. You might also check with the local ag extension office in your county for the dates of any tomato-tastings scheduled. Local Master Gardener orgs and garden clubs often schedule tomato-tasting get togethers about this time of year.

Dave

• ju1234
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Dave. I will check these out.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Market growers do not sell many varieties. I was in our FM today. Except for a yellow tomato all were red beefsteak type. On top of that, they don't tag the name of what they are selling, is it hybrid, heirloom ???. If you ask the person at the cash register you will hear " I Don't Know ".
    But I suspect most of what they sell are some kind of hybrid. Some times the sell Heirlooms separately. Than again, you ask the name you will hear " I Don't Know ".

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Market growers do not sell many varieties. I was in our FM today. Except for a yellow tomato all were red beefsteak type. On top of that, they don't tag the name of what they are selling, is it hybrid, heirloom ???. If you ask the person at the cash register you will hear " I Don't Know ".

Sorry to hear it is that way at your market. Policies are very different around here. For such a low population area we have a surprising number of long-established markets in our area and well-labeled, well-informed heirloom sales are quite popular.

Can't say what they may be like in the Dallas area but hopefully they are better than what you have experienced. Otherwise they serve little purpose. And from the link below it appears there are many of them, several with excellent reviews and at least a couple of them that specialize in heirloom varieties.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Dallas area Farmer's Markets

• HotHabaneroLady
    9 years ago

I'm the D.C. suburbs, so we also tend to have big city type farmers markets. I find that if I ask whatever random person is helping me at my favorite vendor, they usually won't be able to tell me things like the variety of tomato. But there is usually someone there from the actual farm. If I ask that person, they will usually know. It's just a matter of getting the right person. :)

Angie (who will be leaving to visit her local farmers market shortly)