Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
These tomato plants are done, right?

Posted by srg215 6b nj (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 24, 12 at 16:49

Will the big green tomatoes on them ever ripen? Is this blight, mildew, etc? Is it time just pull the plants?

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: These tomato plants are done, right?

There is still plenty of time in your zone for tomatoes to ripen.

Do you mean the dark spots, the yellow leaves, or the white stuff all over the leaves? Looks like they have been dusted with something.

Dave

o

Not dusted with anything. The white powdery stuff is getting worse and worse. The leaves are shriveling up and dying and becoming sparser.

o

I see plenty of ripe/ripening tomatoes. I'd probably pick them and leave the plants alone. Maybe spray with a fungicide and they might hang in there for a while longer.

o

Keep in mind that tomatoes are an annual plant. Their only mission in life is to produce seeds (i.e., fruit). Once that's done, they begin to die. These plants look fine for late summer. Nobody grows tomatoes for beautiful foliage (although they can look pretty gorgeous in late spring). It's Mother Nature's little plan, like it or not.

o

You could knock back that fungal infection pretty easy, I'd say they have some time left to make you more fruit.

I have been keeping late blight at bay with a homeade spray. In one gallon of water, mix 2 TBL spoons of Baking Soda and 2 TBL Spoons of any Veg or olive oil, and add a few drops of dish soap. Mix well and spray on your plants.

CH

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here