Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coconut_head

Best of the Brandywines

coconut_head
10 years ago

I have not grown any Brandywines before but will be ordering some seed this fall/winter to grow a couple next season. There seem to be more and more "strains" of brandywine each year, so if you only had 1 to grow, which would it be?

CH

Comments (19)

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Brandywine ( Sudduth/Quisenberry)

I don 't consider any of the Brandywines to have the greatest taste around, although I used to many years ago.

And my above comments are separate from the two other heirloom ones of Red Brandywine and Yellow Brandywine.

As your question is posed, folks could answer any variety that has brandywine as part of the name or was part of crosses that led to many other varieties.

So I'm sticking just to the original Bradywine ( Sudduth/Quisenberry one.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Brandywine ( Sudduth/Quisenberry)

• fireduck
    10 years ago

Carolyn and others have discussed this recently on the other website. I would take her advice. Ed of Somis

• labradors_gw
    10 years ago

Rats!

I've just ordered Brandywine Cowlicks that some have been raving about.

Linda

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Linda, go ahead and grow the Cowlicks.

The only way you'll know which Brandywines you like, though, is to grow several different ones in the same season, and more than one plant of each, to eliminate all the variables.

Carolyn

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

I really like the Suddeth/Quisenberry.....can't get it off my grow list. There are some huge one's on my plant turning pink right now.

• sharonrossy
    10 years ago

I'm growing BW Sudduth and I've also have a couple of huge ones ripening. Still not sure if I'm going to be a fan, cause I tried BW a few years ago and was never crazy about it. JMHO...

• John A
    10 years ago

Just another suggestion if you plant several to compare. Try Brandyboy. Yes - it's a hybrid, but great tasting and disease resistant.
    John A

• labradors_gw
    10 years ago

I grew both the pink and red Brandywine years ago and LOVED the taste. The pink BW performed better for me than the red, but my problem was that they were late to produce fruit and that by the time those big 'maters were ripe they were also rotting. Sadly, I decided not to grow them again for many years.

I have since learned that it is possible to pick tomatoes before they are fully ripe, so I think that this might help a lot with my rotting problem.

John, thanks for the suggestion of Brandy Boy. I've heard great things about it, and being disease-resistant is certainly an asset!

So many tomatoes, so little space to grow them all!

Linda

• sharonrossy
    10 years ago

I'm putting brandy boy on my list for next year as well. Just starting to eat BW Sudduth. Only had one, so so good, but I wouldn't necessarily grow it again.

• foose4string
    10 years ago

I heartily recommend BrandyBoy. Not quite as strong tasting as a Brandywine, but close enough to make the switch. Much more vigor, disease resistance, and production....traits you would expect from a hybrid. I picked these BrandyBoys yesterday and have plenty more coming.

• coconut_head
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Looks like I'll have to make room for Sudduth and Brandy Boy!

"Hunny, I'm running to the lumber yard for some wood for a few new raised beds!"

CH

• Marshallkey
    10 years ago

Kelloggs Breakfast - Great Tasting Big Tomatoes !

• monet_g
    10 years ago

I have to vote for Brandy Boy, too. The only "problem" is that you have to get seed directly from Burpee. They're expensive ($5.25 for 30 seeds) plus you have to pay shipping. The BB seeds are the only thing Burpee offers that I'm interested in, so, potentially, I could be paying more than $10. for a packet of seeds.

On occasion, generally later in the season, about now, Burpee offers free shipping and that's when I do my ordering.

This post was edited by monet_g on Wed, Aug 21, 13 at 12:37

• John A
    10 years ago

Monet is correct. Burpee's S&H charge is a rip- off.

• sheltieche
    10 years ago

I also absolutely loved Nicholaevna pink which Iôve grown first time this year. Outstanding old fashioned taste, large fruits, I like it better than Brandywine Sudduth as it seems more balanced in sweetness and acidity although they are close

• monet_g
    10 years ago

Just saw that Burpee is offering free shipping if you sign up for their newsletter. (Shipping is $6.95 for one pack of seeds.)

This post was edited by monet_g on Wed, Aug 21, 13 at 12:35

• hudson___wy
    10 years ago

Brandy Boy has our vote!

• John A
    10 years ago

Hudson - How did you get such nice looking BB's this early in Zone 3? Do you have a greenhouse?
    John A

• hudson___wy
    10 years ago

Hi John A - Yes, they are GH grown. Tomatoes need protection to grow in Wyoming - at our elevation! This is the first year planting Brandy Boy (for us). We love the plant - lots of tomatoes - vigorous plant - all the things they say about it were true for us!

{{gwi:310423}}

Sponsored
Potomac Shores Cabinetry
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Loudoun County's Well-Designed Spaces and Custom Crafted Cabinetry