Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
darkcloud784

Flea Beetle repellant

darkcloud784
13 years ago

Anyone have any home remedies for keeping flea beetles away?

I've recently come in contact with a LOAD of them that are destroying my tomato plants. I've tried soap/water sprayed on them but it doesn't keep them away, however it does seem to kill a few.

Comments (13)

• carolyn137
    13 years ago

Two suggestions.

Plant some eggplant b'c they prefer eggplant over tomatoes and so are considered a trap crop.

Second suggestion is to plant lots of radishes b'c flea beetles love them as well and they can servie as a trap crop also.

Carolyn

• darkcloud784
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I wish I could do that but I'm actually growing my tomato plants inside of a container.

• jcheckers
    13 years ago

Not a home remedy but a shot of liquid sevin will get rid of them. I usually only have problems with flea beetles at the transplant stage before they flower, after they start flowering usually no more problem although this year had some problems when my plants quit flowering due to the heat. I know this is "not organic" and I try to stay as organic as possible, but I don't plant my garden for the bugs to eat! Good Luck

Keith

• chalstonsc
    13 years ago

Dust with Safer's diatomaceous earth....and keep dusted after rains...seems to keep the stinkbugs away too.

• carolyn137
    13 years ago

Checkers, liquid Sevin or powder Sevin is a systemic, and I don't think it's a good idea to use systemics on anything edible.

Below I've linked to a general Google Search on control of Flea Beetles on Tomatoes, and by extension potatoes and eggplant.

I think if you spend an hour or so reading some of them you'll find some excellent ways to control them.

As for me, even if your tomatoes are in containers I'd plant radishes around the base of the plants. I'm not all that stubborn, but flea beetles are usually a problem early in the season and then go away by which times the radishes would have done their job.

But do look at some of the alternatives from the link below.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Flea Beetles/tomatoes, etc

• jcheckers
    13 years ago

Carolyn,

but flea beetles are usually a problem early in the season and then go away

That's what I said in my reply, I use the sevin at transplant time,if I didn't there wouldn't be any tomato plants left by the time radishes came up. When I found damage recently I didn't really worry. dc784 doesn't say what area or zone they're in, I know different areas have different problems...

If you can help with some kind of control of Red Spider Mite (other than Kelthane), which I also use, that would be appreciated. Thanks

Keith

• darkcloud784
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm in nebraska - its getting toward the end of the season too which is weird because ive never had a problem with them this late before. I'm pretty sure their flea beetles too, small black beetles that jump when disturbed. I'll have to wait until morning to take a picture of the beetles BUT i do have a picture of the damage they've been doing. Before I saw the actual beetles someone said it was leaf hoopers but now that I've noticed all the beetles which there has been slowly growing in the number of them.
    {{gwi:46892}}

• jcheckers
    13 years ago

darkcloud,
    Your problem looks different than the damage I find with flea beetles. Here's a link from the pest problem solver at Planet Natural..."Flea Beetle Control."

Hope this helps,

Keith

_____________________________________________________________________________

A garden is never so good as it will be next year. -- Thomas Cooper

• darkcloud784
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hmmm well the description of the bug i see all over my tomatoes fits

the first picture i posted was early in seeing them, now that theres more of these buggers its gotten a bit worse.

• jcheckers
    13 years ago

Yes that does look like this image from google, but the image shows the typical shot holes to the leaf.

Keith

Here is a link that might be useful:

• darkcloud784
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thats not a google picture thats a picture I took today.

• jcheckers
    13 years ago

{{!gwi}}

• darkcloud784
    Original Author
    13 years ago

yea after some googling i found that, as well as i found out the culprit and im 100% positive this time because the pictures completely match as well as the damage pictures. flea hoppers, also found a good remedy - apparently they dont like garlic =D

the females are exactly what they look like and the tiny black dots are also all over the plants. They are like aphids in the fact that they suck oils out of the plant leaves giving them the white moldy look