Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
music_creator

miracle-gro and your health

music_creator
11 years ago

I searched quite a few posts, but didn't see a satisfactory answer. I have just a handful of tomato plants in poor soil and have been using miracle-gro. Is there any consensus as to whether there are any ill health effects from using Miracle-gro?

Comments (27)

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

Actually you are the first person I've even seen who has asked such a question. And I've been reading/posting at several message sites since 1983.

No, I know of nothing about MG that is detrimental to human health.

What concerns are you aware of?

Carolyn

• qaguy
    11 years ago

I use Miracle-grow for my tomatoes. Have been for 25+
    years. My and my wife's health is excellent, thank you.

I'm 65, retired and still in fairly good shape for an
    old man. Very active in the garden every day unless
    we take a day trip somewhere. Went to Palm Desert last
    week in fact.

My wife just turned 74. She is also in fairly good shape
    for an old lady. In fact, people often mis-judge her
    age by 15 years.

I'd say we're living testimonials to the lack of ill
    health effects from eating tomatoes that were fertilized
    with Miracle-grow.

Fertilize away!

• User
    11 years ago

It gives me gas if I take more than 2 tbsp's a day. ;-)

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    11 years ago

Funny, when people comment that our son is big for his age my wife usually says, "We give him Miracle-gro."

• coconut_head
    11 years ago

I think the concern with a synthetic fertilizer like Miracle Grow is that it can damage the soil food web if used too heavily, not that it has any specific toxic effects on people. I mean it's just the manufactured chemical form of various things plants need.

I personally would rather make my own fertilizer in the form of compost, that way I am recycling and saving myself a buck at the same time (and ejoying it) but it's just my personal preference. Just be reasonable with it's application and you should be fine.

CH

• colokid
    11 years ago

Might I suggest that people that use miracle grow are people that grow a garden and eat at least some of their own healthy foods..there for they have better health that those that don't?

• robeb
    11 years ago

Wow Keith,
    You've come back with all your mad scientist vigor & knowledge, and I mean that with much respect.

Great to read a post from you again. Please continue to be a current participant here.

• User
    11 years ago

Thanks for the information Keith, very, very informative.

• capoman
    11 years ago

One thing that most people don't realize is that synthetic fertilizers are basically the same salts that organisms create in organic gardening. As Carolyn said, the biggest issue is soil degradation in monoculture farming and runoff due to increased use of fertilzers due to soil degradation.

For the most part, this is not an issue for home gardeners that also tend to use compost and smaller amounts of fertilizers then monoculture agribusiness.

Personally, I use artificial fertilizers in containers where they are the most benefit, and have the least amount of runoff. In ground, I use mostly organic processes, partly because I have sandy soil that leaches nutrients, and partly because it requires a lot of organic matter anyway for water retention, and also because I live off a well.

I do still use specific nutrients when needed for certain situations, such as ammonium sulphate for blueberries, but for the most part I do organic practices in soil. It keeps my soil in much better condition, requiring less inputs in general.

As far as taste, I don't see much difference between my container grown vegetables and my organic ones in the ground. Considering what the plants actually eat, I don't think there is a health difference either.

I agree with the poster that heavy metals can be an issue, however those elements are everywhere, including our soil and drinking water. Not sure if what is in fertilizers makes much difference. I've never seen any proof of it being an issue in studies I've read. I wouldn't worry about it until we get more proof.

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

As for fertilizers, build up of salts and these metals may occur over time in an area

Speaking just to the build up salt issue, quite a few years I looked into that and the links are on a previous computer, but that build up almost always occurs in commercual farming when there's not enough rain or irrigation water to dissolve the salts and binders in most of those type fertilizers.

So as I see it,less of a problem for home growers who do water their plants when needed, if they can, and I say when they can b'c one of the folks who does seed production for me is in IL and despite heroic efforts to hand water without depleting his well water, it looks like he's going to lose almsot all of the 600 plants he has out there.

However, he doesn't use synthetic fertilizers, that's the good news. it turns out that on the old farm there's what's called a buffalo wallow and his nephew has trucked lots of that good stuff to where he can use it. ( smile)

Carolyn, who was looking for Mulio, not Mule, but no difference between the two, thank heavens. LOL

• jolj
    11 years ago

qaguy I have been an organic gardener for many year & used peters 20/20 on house plant at a nursery when I was in my teens.
    I am glad you & your wife are well. What I got from your post is that I have 10-25 more year to play in the dirt if I am careful & very lucky.

• capoman
    11 years ago

Music creator, about your poor soil conditions, I would consider trying to do something about that. You didn't say why your soil was poor, however I have experience with poor soil as well. I have sandy, droughty, nutrient poor soil with excessive drainage. Even grass wouldn't grow on my property when I first got it, and it was like a sand dune with only hardy weeds growing here and there. Using permaculture techniques such as using clover mixed with grass seed, I got my grass to grow. I didn't bring any top soil in and worked with what I had. Then composting clippings with leaves I've been able to improve garden beds to the point where the worms moved in, I have to water much less, and I'm able to use mostly organic practices in my soil, using mostly inputs from my property. It's been a total changeover from brown and dry to green and lush throughout my property. Whether you have sand or rock hard clay to garden in, it can be transformed fairly quickly with the right methods, and you have the interest to do it.

• katkni
    11 years ago

Not (necessarily) health related, but I have heard that Miracle Gro can affect the flavor of the produce.

• ifraser25
    11 years ago

Miracle-Gro is good but there is a wider question here. Do any of us really know what we are doing when we add these chemical products to our plants? I only trust three - leaf mold (nitrogen), wood ash (potassium) and bone meal (phosphorus). NO CHEMICALS.

• robeb
    11 years ago

I only trust three - leaf mold (nitrogen), wood ash (potassium) and bone meal (phosphorus). NO CHEMICALS.

All 3 that you've mentioned are chemical elements, and you say that Miracle-Gro is good. I don't get your point.

• _dt_
    11 years ago

what mule says is correct, miracle gro does have arsenic but if you are not going to use it because of that, then you have to compare it to something correct? I became a member to respond to this claim because i see it a lot when im lurking.

for an example, i grow in hydroponics and here is a hydro nutrient with the arsenic of 10ppm and a whole bunch of other heavy metals also. oh yeah, I picked this product out because its organic based. I looked at what its derived from and its basically super compost tea.

http://agr.wa.gov/PestFert/Fertilizers/FertDB/prodinfo.aspx?pname=4215

now compare that to miracle gro 24-8-16 all purpose which has an arsenic ppm of 0.8750 ( notice the . in the .8750) because the organic based fert has more than 10x the amount of arsenic than miracle gro

http://agr.wa.gov/PestFert/Fertilizers/FertDB/prodinfo.aspx?pname=2033

People wonder why i like miracle gro, its because of how it works. when you get a bunch of chemically made ferts they are of high purity due to the fact its created in a lab.

• Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)
    11 years ago

According to www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxguides/toxguide-2.pdf a normal unexposed human has up to 1 ppm arsenic in their hair and nails.

Gee, I guess I don't want anybody handling my miracle grow without a hairnet and gloves because they might contaminate it.

Maybe a person could lower their arsenic levels if they gave up eating fish and eat miracle grow instead? :)

Maybe it's at least partly a matter of perception? Sorta like how some people assume any bottle of water labeled "Spring Water" is more pure and healthy without even stopping to wonder where the spring is located. http://www.waterindustry.org/Water-Facts/bottled-water-1.htm

• Djole
    11 years ago

Good point chugger.

• jolj
    11 years ago

rebeb, I get your point.
    I am a organic gardener, because I do not Lab made chemicals.
    If I could not get a good harvest with compost & organic waste, I would rethink my garden plan.
    I do not understand the HATE chemicals(lab or synthetic fertilizer) that some people preach. It is not about gardening with some people, they just use gardening forums to spread their belief & agenda.

• capoman
    11 years ago

Although I mostly grow in ground organically, I use synthetics in containers.

My real concern is not with fertilizers as plants do not care about where the source is. It's mostly the same chemicals organic or not. I do not use enough to pollute water with nutrients.

My real concern is pesticides, organic or not. These are the real ones to keep an eye on since they can affect so much with so little, and can have unintended consequences. I do what I can to limit my use of pesticides, including organics. One of the best way to avoid pests is to grow healthy plants in the first place. If they require some synthetic fertilizers, so be it. Better then having unhealthy plants and then have to use pesticides from avoiding the use of synthetic fertilization. Growing organically is not easy. It takes a lot of work including collecting and turning compost, and incorporating it into the soil. It takes time to be good at it. I see nothing wrong with a bit of supplementation when needed.

• music_creator
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow. Having not posted here before, I didn't expect the outpouring of thoughts, opinions, facts, biases, and general good humour. Thanks everyone for the helpful responses!

• korney19
    11 years ago

All I know is that Espoma's GardenTone & PlantTone had about 24x as much Arsenic as Miracle-Gro 15-30-15.... oh, and 10x as much Mercury.... and 2-3x as much Lead as MG15-30-15....

• korney19
    11 years ago

.....but they're organic!

• music_creator
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tomatoes are doing great with occasional miracle-gro help in questionable soil. Now if I can keep them covered when it freezes... BTW I'm guilty of being the original poster on this thread.

It seems the jury is out on possible health issues related to the product.

• drloyd
    11 years ago

I remember when the Seattle Times did their big series on toxic wastes being used as fertilizer ingredients. At that time they listed Miracle Grow products as highly pure.

When you compare the .87 ppm of arsenic in their standard water soluble all purpose product with the average of 7 ppm in Washington State soils, the MG looks pretty good.

Even the reagent grade and food grade materials contain some toxic metals.

• Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)
    11 years ago

A poll won't settle anything, nor would a "Jury". Still might be interesting though.

Is Miracle Grow Safe To Use In The Home Garden?
    Yes
    No
    In moderation
    ÃÂ ÃÂ pollcode.com free pollsÃÂ