Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sue_ct

Tasteless tomatoes

sue_ct
12 years ago

My mother just told me the plant from Reif Red Heart seeds I gave her just produced the first ripe tomato and the tomato had very little taste. She gave one plant to my sister who said the same thing. I just tasted my first Anna Russian and it is yummy. The only thing I could think of was maybe if they water a lot more than I do. I rarely water my tomatoes, just mulch. I think I have only watered twice this year. They may slow down but I haven't seen any wilting so I leave them alone. The only times I have had bad tomatoes was when the plants were grown by someone else and I planted large plants into the garden, still don't know why they were so bad, and one year when we had tons of rain. I think they were just watery. Any other ideas? Don't know what to tell them. I haven't grown RRH but heard very good things about it.

Comments (8)

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Sure, over-watering dilutes flavor. Also cause splitting etc. Lots of discussions here about this. But if you have only had to water 2x this year then count your blessings! That is indeed very rare so perhaps they aren't over-watering after all.

This year many would give anything to get any tomatoes, over-watered or not, tasteless or not. :) 18 states with temps above 100 degrees for over a month now. 115 here today.

Dave

• sue_ct
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I admittedly water only as a last resort. I think the tomatoes taste better. But I also don't let them wilt or get crispy leaves, so I don't think it is enough to hurt them. I watered deeply right before the last 2 heat waves and they seemed fine. I would just like to give them some suggestions so they get some good tomatoes this year. They are not big on gardening in the first place, so not getting good results meant no garden at all for a couple of years for one of them and listening to "oh, why do you bother" and "they don't taste any different than what you get in store", for a couple of years, which hurts my heart. I made my mother taste a slice of my Anna Russian, just to make sure she hasn't lost her sense of taste. But she said, oh that tastes good, like a good tomato. She only lives 2 miles from me so it is baffling to me.

• missingtheobvious
    12 years ago

Perhaps they're picking too early or too late?

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    12 years ago

I've got a 1 lb+ Reif Red Heart just about ripe. I'll let you know how it tastes. I grew it in a container, and watered it a lot. My medium is very fast draining, so hopefully there are no ill taste(less) effects from so much watering.

• dickiefickle
    12 years ago

Make sure the tom is competely ripe first

• monet_g
    12 years ago

For some reason my first tomatoes aren't very tasty. I planted Sungold for the first time last year. I was so disappointed in the taste, I told my neighbor that she could have them all. A week or so later she said "these tomatoes are fantastic". I tried them and, sure enough, they were. This year the earlier Sungolds were disappointing again. Now they're coming with great taste.

I had a BLT with my first "Giant Belgium" the other night. It was so bad I threw most of the sandwich away. I'm hoping that the next ones will be much better.

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    12 years ago

To this point my Black Cherries are the best tasting. The Matinas have been good as usual. Currently I have a Black from Tula, Brandywine Landis, Reif Red Heart, and a Cherokee Purple, all just about ripe. Should be an interesting next few days with the taste tests.

• sue_ct
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have now picked 2 Danko, a small KB and an Anna Russian, and I have been very happy with the taste of each one. Anna Russian the best so far. This is a very curious year for tomatoes here. Reif Red Heart was supposed to be a later tomato, but my mother picked an early girl and a RRH a few days apart. I planted Danko because it was supposed to be early, but my Brandywine, usually THE latest variety for me, is showing first blush within 3 days of the the first Danko I picked. Don't know why. But I'll take em all!

I just want them to share in the joy of a really tasty fresh picked garden tomato!