Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brian_ouimet

Tomatoe holes

brian_ouimet
10 years ago

Any one know what is eating little holes in my tomatoes.

Comments (10)

• Bulldog74
    10 years ago

Birds doing the damage -- typically Cardinals. Had this problem for three years, tried netting, killing the birds, but finally learned the trick of training them to leave my tomatoes alone. Go to Walmart the week after christmas and buy red christmas tree balls, several packages typically for $1/pack. When your tomatoes put on small green tomatoes hang the red balls on your plants randomly. The birds will peck the red balls an learn that red in your garden is not edible, thus when your tomatoes turn red they will leave them alone. As a caution, pick at color break and ripen indoors.

• Bulldog74
    10 years ago

Birds doing the damage -- typically Cardinals. Had this problem for three years, tried netting, killing the birds, but finally learned the trick of training them to leave my tomatoes alone. Go to Walmart the week after christmas and buy red christmas tree balls, several packages typically for $1/pack. When your tomatoes put on small green tomatoes hang the red balls on your plants randomly. The birds will peck the red balls an learn that red in your garden is not edible, thus when your tomatoes turn red they will leave them alone. As a caution, pick at color break and ripen indoors.

• barrie2m_(6a, central PA)
    10 years ago

Don't rule out the Tomato Fruitworm. This is the same insect as the corn earworm that also can cause havoc to tomatoes and the timing of your post suggests the possibility of Fruitworm populations in your area. Usually you will see expanding damage and even surface worms as the infestation expands. You'll wish you had birds.

• twolips
    10 years ago

I love the red ornament idea, I'm going to try that one. What about that thin shiny bird tape, has anyone tried that?

• tomatomike
    10 years ago

I see this damage (it is a bird because it is a puncture, not eaten) from several types of birds. I find they do this most in times of drought and once they know that red means water, it becomes their target. I am going to try the red ornament idea this year. We used netting with success last year, but it is difficult because of the plants growing though it. I resorted to picking my tomatoes at late blush before they got poked. You can cut out the puncture and eat the tomato, but if it is not ripe, it will rot before it matures. Don't pick it off either, because they will return to it. Otherwise, they will find a new target fruit.

• emmers_m
    10 years ago

Has anyone found that squirrels fall for the ornament trick?

~emmers

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Just put some water in the shade underneath the tomato plants. I did that last year and no more birds pecking on my tomatoes after that.
    Of course, another idea is just to have a nice bird bath. You will have a lot of birds visiting you garden. The may also eat some slugs , caterpillars, etc.

• yardenman
    10 years ago

I won't eat it...

• Marianne Davy
    last year

This read was so helpful! I looked through dozens of tomato problems- but I have what appears to be tears - exactly like a bird beak would make. Living in coastal NC- we have a lit of cardinals. I just put out water for the birds! I know this is an old thread - but thank you all so much. Fingers crossed the pie tin of water keeps the birds happy. Thank you again.