Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomatoe holes

Posted by brian_ouimet 5 Ont (shs_school@hotmail.com) on
Sat, Aug 31, 13 at 17:25

Any one know what is eating little holes in my tomatoes.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomatoe holes

usually caused by birds , try putting water dishes out for them

o

Birds doing the damage -- typically Cardinals. Had this problem for three years, tried netting, killing the birds, but finally learned the trick of training them to leave my tomatoes alone. Go to Walmart the week after christmas and buy red christmas tree balls, several packages typically for $1/pack. When your tomatoes put on small green tomatoes hang the red balls on your plants randomly. The birds will peck the red balls an learn that red in your garden is not edible, thus when your tomatoes turn red they will leave them alone. As a caution, pick at color break and ripen indoors.

o

Birds doing the damage -- typically Cardinals. Had this problem for three years, tried netting, killing the birds, but finally learned the trick of training them to leave my tomatoes alone. Go to Walmart the week after christmas and buy red christmas tree balls, several packages typically for $1/pack. When your tomatoes put on small green tomatoes hang the red balls on your plants randomly. The birds will peck the red balls an learn that red in your garden is not edible, thus when your tomatoes turn red they will leave them alone. As a caution, pick at color break and ripen indoors.

o

Don't rule out the Tomato Fruitworm. This is the same insect as the corn earworm that also can cause havoc to tomatoes and the timing of your post suggests the possibility of Fruitworm populations in your area. Usually you will see expanding damage and even surface worms as the infestation expands. You'll wish you had birds.

o

I love the red ornament idea, I'm going to try that one. What about that thin shiny bird tape, has anyone tried that?

o

I see this damage (it is a bird because it is a puncture, not eaten) from several types of birds. I find they do this most in times of drought and once they know that red means water, it becomes their target. I am going to try the red ornament idea this year. We used netting with success last year, but it is difficult because of the plants growing though it. I resorted to picking my tomatoes at late blush before they got poked. You can cut out the puncture and eat the tomato, but if it is not ripe, it will rot before it matures. Don't pick it off either, because they will return to it. Otherwise, they will find a new target fruit.

o

Has anyone found that squirrels fall for the ornament trick?

~emmers

o

Just put some water in the shade underneath the tomato plants. I did that last year and no more birds pecking on my tomatoes after that.
Of course, another idea is just to have a nice bird bath. You will have a lot of birds visiting you garden. The may also eat some slugs , caterpillars, etc.

o

I won't eat it...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here