Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Skins Split from so much rain!

Posted by jenniedhs TN (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 26, 08 at 17:29

I am having a bumper crop of Super Sonic tomatoes with many more on the vines waiting to be picked. It has been a dry August and I watered the garden deeply once a week. The last two days we have gotten lots of rain. It was a welcome relief until I went out to my garden and most of the tomatoes which were almost ripe had splits in the skin. Will these splits heal, or should I pick all of these now?

I didn't know too much moisture would cause splits in the skin like this!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Skins Split from so much rain!

The last two days we have gotten lots of rain. It was a welcome relief until I went out to my garden and most of the tomatoes which were almost ripe had splits in the skin. Will these splits heal, or should I pick all of these now?
I didn't know too much moisture would cause splits in the skin like this!

There are three kinds of splitting, concentric and radial which occur at the stem end, and horizontal which occurs elsewhere.

I've grown Supersonic and it isn't prone to either radial or concentric splitting in my experience so I'm assuming the splits run up and down or around the fruits.

The splits of concentric and radial heal over pretty well but not the ones caused by too much water intake when the tomato skin is at its maximum and can no longer enlarge, which causes the splits.

if I were you I'd pick them now and keep them on the counter out of the sun and see how they do. They may heal over or not, but you should get some useful fruits.

Carolyn

o

Thanks Carolyn! Yes the splits run up and down the fruits. The skin on Super Sonics are very thin, but I love the flavor for slicing. They seem to be the only variety that was affected. But there were also more "almost ready to pick" ones on the super sonics than my other varieties. I will take your advice and pick them and see if they will ripen more on the counter.

o

We have had really tropical type weather here, lots and lots of rain. I grow only small tomatoes, cherry and grape and they are all splitting because we have had so much rain.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here