Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tomato plants are dying now.

Posted by preppyjock 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 22, 11 at 17:33

i planted them early, they have produced plenty. but now most of the leaves are turning brown and dry.

are they supposed to die so early? the weather is still hot.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tomato plants are dying now.

What I've learned from this forum is determinate type tomatoes bear most of fruits in the same tree around same time and after their job is done - producing fruit for us- they literally die while indeterminate variety continue to grow taller and produce fruits until disease or frost kills them.

What variety of tomatoes do you grow?

o

Preppy, My determinate's are dying but my ID's are still kicking, putting on new growth. I planted a fall crop in early July (zone 7) and they are starting to bloom. I'm Not sure, but in zone 8, maybe you can start a new crop?

o

Why are they dying?

Sometimes a lack of watering is blamed when the real problem is wilts and blights have withered most of the plant. If the whole plant is the same stage of wilt/dryness that might really be a moisture problem. If yellow or brown leaves move from the bottom of the plant towards the top, that is a good indicator that you need to:
-- spray with compost tea
-- keep branches off ground and from touching other plants
-- water the base of the plant, not the whole thing
-- next year space the plants further apart.

o

those plants do have things that look like spider web around the leaves.

yes, since those things are growing on those leaves, so i tend to watch the whole plants to wash them.

oh, yes, i did want to grow more, so i planted a lot close by. why does that cause the plants to die early?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here