Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how long can tomato plants live?

Posted by preppyjock 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 23, 11 at 17:46

are there any plants that can grow more than one year? what is the longest life?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how long can tomato plants live?

Yes, indeterminates will live over the Winter in Frost free areas. I have no idea how long that could go on. LInda

o

We had tomatoes in the greenhouse for over a year and a green pepper plant for over two years. They really didn't produce in the winter, just stayed alive.

o

Several years

o

Indeterminate varieties will live until frost or disease or neglect kills them. Determinate varieties average 90 days with good care and no disease.

Dave

o

Dave - is that 90 days from seed or transplant? My Glaciers are still producing though I don't think they're growing any taller. I keep waiting for them all to ripen and die so I can plant more peppers there!

To the OP - I think there is a gigantic tomato plant in Epcot Center that is several years old. Of course they have a huge trellis for it and I think it's grown hydroponically so they're pumping all sorts of fertilizer into it.

o

Not I said "average" and it is from transplant.

Dave

o

A tomato farmer told me tomatoes are actually bienniels. They produce fruit the first year (obviously) but if they don't die or freeze, will continue producing another year.

o

A tomato farmer told me tomatoes are actually bienniels. They produce fruit the first year (obviously) but if they don't die or freeze, will continue producing another year.

Bienniels? Not really. Look up the definition of a biennial plant. ;)

Indeterminate varieties, yes they will live for several years given the right conditions and will develop fruit every year. Determinate varieties, no.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here