Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ffreidl

Cold night temps in NE. What are you expecting?

ffreidl
10 years ago

Anyone else wondering how these cold night temps (low 50's, even hi 40's) for the past week are going to affect your tomatoes?

Comments (10)

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

I don't think it will affect them too much. My beefsteaks are just starting to ripen. Looks like a solid week of awesome weather coming up!!

• seysonn
    10 years ago

The effects, IMO, will be slowing down the growth and ripening.

• ffreidl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So far, my plants and their tomatoes seem ok, so it will be interesting to see what happens next week when the weather warms up again.

• sharonrossy
    10 years ago

We've been okay so far in Montreal. It's made me more vigilant in not letting any new fruit form. I can see the fruit ripening faster. I'm very excited to eat my first black from Tula. Bloody butcher has been great and BW Sudduth is sitting on my counter.
    Ed, are you still fertilizing? I gave my containers some ferts a few days ago, but I'm thinking maybe to stop at this point. At recommendations from container growers?

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

Hi Sharon, Glad to hear that your tomatoes are ripening. Just fertilizing a little. 1/4 tsp of MG liquid in every gallon of water. You make a good point, I might even cut back from that. I hope you enjoy the Brandywines. I'm still trying to get my first Hawaiian Pineapple to blush.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Well that is the reality of the nature.
    The peak of summer is over in most northern states and we are on our way down the hills. Occasional temperature bubbles can happen now and then but the general trend is getting cooler, cooler and col. But when it happens gradually, the plants adapt themselves, to some extent , to their environment. But over all , growth and ripening will slow down a bit. Forget the new tiny fruits having a chance to ripen. Blossoms will have no chance at life. That is why I am preventing any and all the new growth and getting rid of all new buds and blossoms. No kidding matter.

• sharonrossy
    10 years ago

I agree as much as its tempting I've decided to take a tough love approach !

• joeorganictomatoes
    10 years ago

Zone 6a here.. My fruit has been delayed this season due to the late frost and all of the rain. I'm hoping for the growing season to be extended into October. My most productive varieties so far are the Sun Sugar, Black Prince and the German Johnson. I have 16 different varieties planted. FYI Read up on how Miracle-Gro destroys your soil. I've gone strictly organic as a result of my research. Happy harvesting!

• sheltieche
    10 years ago

Well, I am expecting things to grow for a while and have plenty of greenies going. Difference with late tomatoes that they are just started going so I get whatever first crop they started. Thus I never rely on them as main staple in my garden. I have several Nature Riddle, fantastic, all over 1 lbs toms in full glory, Brandywine Sudduth, Nikolaevna, Cuor Di Bue, Marianne Peace, Missouri Pink Love Apple doing really well. OTOH my Pink Honey gave me first crop in July and has some new greens now so I know I will get more. Amazon Chocolate the same, producing second crop as weather cooled. So I build my garden a lot around midseason varieties.
    Hungarian heart seems keep going no matter what weather and so is Paul Robeson.
    Planting variety of tomatoes is a must for me, depending on the weather I will always have something going.

• sharonrossy
    10 years ago

So I confess that I decided to give one last weak fertilization as I watered. It's going to be really hot over the next few days and I'll be watering plenty, but this is it, and its amazing to see from day to day. But black Krim is really slow to ripen. Nothing yet has even started to blush from it.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional