Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunshinezone7

I hate Septoria Leaf Spot!

SunshineZone7
9 years ago

There are only so many branches a tomato plant has! I keep cutting away the diseased branches and some of my plants don't have much foliage left! This happened last year too :(

1. How do I prevent this next year?

2. If I notice it next year, what can I do in addition to cutting off the diseased foliage

3. Will the disease stay in the soil?

FYI- I garden organically

Comments (11)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Regular weekly application of the fungicide of your choice from the day of plant out is the standard recommendation. Daconil is the preferred fungicide.

Dave

• SunshineZone7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Dave,

Is there anything that is organic and will not kill or harm bees?

• pandora
    9 years ago

We rotated our garden this year because we've had problems last 2 years. Made no difference.

Also started all my own plants. Did not buy 1 plant, not even my flower row.
    DH put something on tomato plants too.
    Still no difference. Dead leaves almost waist high!!

Will research that fungicide, thx.

• sheltieche
    9 years ago

Have been using Actinovate and Aerated Compost Tea with favorable results for last month.
    I do find word èhateè overdramatic and better saved for something else, septoria is part of the life for every tomato grower, if I can get it down to nuisance level I will be happy.
    Am researching BioSafe now.

• daniel_nyc
    9 years ago

I use - with excellent results - Copper (Bonide) fungicide. ItâÂÂs organic.

Here is a link that might be useful: Safe, organic treatment for Septoria (GardenWeb forum)

This post was edited by Daniel_NY on Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 7:38

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Is there anything that is organic and will not kill or harm bees?

Lots of them. The various copper-based are probably the most common but there are many others as well. Just Google 'organic fungicide'.

As Linda said, Septoria, since the spores are air borne, is a fact of life when growing tomatoes.

Dave

• SunshineZone7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Digdirt and others, always very helpful. Linda I tried to edit my title to "I strongly dislike Septoria Leaf Spot" but it won't let me edit the title. Yeah there are worse things but I very much dislike seeing the plants I grew from seed get taken over by disease until there is nothing left to the plant :(

• daniel_nyc
    9 years ago

SunshineZone7, did you mulch the soil ?

Did you spray fungicide from the day when you transplanted ?

This post was edited by Daniel_NY on Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 15:21

• SunshineZone7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No I did not use fungicide, trying to avoid that. I mulched pretty heavy w straw last year and no mulch this year...same result. I plan to mulch next year.

The the septoria going to be in my soil?

• lkzz
    9 years ago

Sunshine...I feel your pain...hate is an OK word to use....it's emotional when you try so hard and your efforts are thwarted.

I've never used a fungicide but will research it also. My problem is that it is very labor intensive to apply (especially with 76 plants) and every time I attempt to spray we get a downpour. Perhaps less plants and a concerted effort to find a good organic fungicide and apply it from the get-go will delay the inevitable...there's always next year.

Hang in there, you're not alone.

This post was edited by LKZZ on Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 21:49

• sheltieche
    9 years ago

Septoria is airborne but yes, it could overwinter in debris, not the soil itself so cleaning up will work.
    If you are interested in using less fungicides, you might want to look into aerated compost teas... idea is simple- replace bad microbes with good and let them duke it out...

Here is a link that might be useful: Compost tea