Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dktomato

Roundup Contamination?

DKTomato
10 years ago

I sprayed some Roundup about 3 feet away from where I planted this Mortgage Lifter - I sprayed the Roundup one month before I planted in early June.

The plant seems to be doing very well, but it does have many leaves pointing downward - a classic sign of herbicide damage. I'm afraid the roots absorbed some Roundup residue that went into the soil from the weeds.

Can someone please advise if the tomatoes will be safe to eat - I have plenty on their way?

Thank you.

Comments (10)

• robeb
    10 years ago

That plant looks good to me, I'd have no problem eating its fruit.

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

Yep, you're fine.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

If there were any problems, it would have shown long time ago.
    I second : your plant is just fine.

• DKTomato
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the follow-up posts.

Here is one more picture of how the leaves look on the Mortgage Lifter.

There is a lot of clay in the soil, so I'm very curious if the Roundup residue is still present and getting sucked up into the plant.

The plant in the background is a Black Krim - there are zero signs of any leaves pointing downward on this plant(although it is a lot further away from where I sprayed the Roundup.

• robeb
    10 years ago

There's nothing wrong with that leaf. It's not supposed to look the leaves on a BK plant.

You need to relax & enjoy your plants.

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    10 years ago

Yep, relax and quit making a problem exist. Plants perk up and then wilt and then perk up again as they normally grow. It's just the way nature works. Don't make it an issue friend.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

DO NOT WORRY about BK leaf roll.
    I have one, I know first hand that it is one of the characteristics of BK. I have researched this and seems to be normal.

Pesticide sensitivity of tomato plant IS CLAIMED TO BE via the air not through the soil. UNLESS you pour Roundup next to its stem.

• DKTomato
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all of the replies - all good news.

I'm not sure what the difference is between herbicide exposure on the leaves versus root exposure (if there was actually any), but sounds like I don't have anything to worry about.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Tomato plant is perhaps the most sensitive garden plant.

I have a soil sensitivity experience with tomatoes:
    Years ago i just started a garden right under the canopy of a black walnut tree, Among other things, I also planted tomatoes. A few week later one of them wilted(and died). Somebody suggested that maybe I over fertilized it. But I knew I dad not. Anyway, few days later the other one also wilted and died.
    Then I found out that there is a substance, in the roots, leaves , and barks of black walnut(I think called juglanol ?) that acts like herbicide on certain plants, including tomatoes AND its own seedlings.
    Of all the things I planted in that garden, ONLY tomatoes wilted and died.

• barrie2m_(6a, central PA)
    10 years ago

It's a good idea to know how various herbicides act on different plants. In the case with Roundup you need to have the actual herbicide contact the green plant. I spray roundup between tomato rows of hundreds of plants all the time using what I call "Precision spraying" on a calm day and I never killed a plant yet; caused a few leaf tips to turn yellow at most. Some here might argue the residue issue but that's their unfounded view. With many other herbicides the mode of activity varies.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz