Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bettycbowen

Tomato ID?

bettycbowen
10 years ago

I'm typically on the Oklahoma Gardening forum but a friend just posted this photo on Facebook asking for help identifying this tomato. It is growing in the midst of San Marzanos, all bought at an herb fest. The pointy end is the stem end. It isn't as smooth as a Japanese or Russian trifele, but deeply grooved.

Any ideas?

Comments (9)

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

The shape is what's called piriform,or pear-like,and there are many varieties that have that same shape, so there's no wayof Iding it to a specific variety.

Sorry,

Carolyn

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Link below is to one tomato base listing of pear shaped tomatoes - some 72 different varieties - for starters. You might be able to narrow down the choice somewhat by comparing with the pics there. But that is far from all the pear varieties.

But as is always the case when asked to ID one from a photo, or even in person, the bottom line is you/she will never know for sure.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Tatiana's Tomatobase - Pears

• bettycbowen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys, he decided it is Cuore di Bue. Interesting to me because not much else is coming on right now, & I'd like to find a late producer that likes our weather. I'm still getting black cherry & "sun" types but that's it. Thanks again.

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Dave, I looked through the list of pear ones and saw only a few that were piriforms,

So I googled piriform tomatoes, came up with a bunch of links but one was from Tania's website, so I gave the link below.

Good to look at some of the piriform fruit pictures as well.

There are many more that are piriforms that Tania doesn't have on that list.

I could have linked to some other sites where piriforms were discussed and shown, but just wanted the oiriginal poster to see that there's no way to ID what was shown as to a specific variety.

Carolyn, back at the computer after a wicked T-storm passed close by. Her home was hit by lightning once this summer and she doesn't need that again Sigh,

Here is a link that might be useful: Piriform varieties

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Betty, how can he decide it was Cuore di Bue when all of the piriform ones look prett y much alike,as you can see from what I just posted by looking at the pictures? (smile)

Carolyn

• bettycbowen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Because he bought from a small organic grower at the herb festival & somebody asked them :) buy local! ðÂÂÂ

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Unfortunately he can decide to call it whatever he wants but that doesn't make it so. And trying to slap an after-the-fact label on an unknown only misleads and contaminates the genetic pool if he trades seeds under that name.

I have grown Cuore and IME it is normally a rounder pear with much more pronounced ruffling than in the pic above. Lots of pictures of it on Google.

Dave

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Bull's Heart ?
    Looks like it more than PEAR to me.
    I,ll take it. haha

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Hearts, such as Bull's Heart and several hundred other hearts are large at the stem end and then taper down towards the blossom end to one degreer or another, meaning some have blunt tips and others have acute tips.

While Piriforms are the exact opposite in shape, taper at the stem end and have big bottoms, as it were. LOL

Carolyn