Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tlchristensen_gw

Yellow Brandywine - is this catface?

tlchristensen
12 years ago

Hello all,

This is my second year growing tomatoes, last year we had excellent plants but poor weather, causing a massive amount of flowers to be aborted on all of our plants. This year the weather has been much better, we built raised beds (and put in great soil), and I have been more hands on with the garden as a whole. I am growing 6 tomato varieties, two types of cherries, jaune flamme, black ethiopian, big beef and yellow brandywine. I pulled side shoots on all the plants until above the first fruit set, since then I've let 3-4 side shoots per plant go. All the tomatoes are doing very well, with very heavy flowering, great fruit set and almost no dropped flowers. The one problem I am having is with the yellow brandywine. Every tomato that has formed has cracked open in a non-symmetric pattern on the blossom end, always on the blossom end and not a single tomato has been spared. Only one tomato on the jaune flamme (the first flowering branch, which only had one flower has a distorted tomato that is somewhat split on the blossom end) has similar problems, all the other fruits (which there are A LOT of) are doing great. Below is an image...I hope someone has some idea of what is going on here. I would hate to lose all the brandywines as the few I got last year were some of the best tomatoes I've ever had. Thanks in advance and please let me know if you would like any more information.

Comments (4)