Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yellow Brandywine - is this catface?

Posted by tlchristensen OR (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 6, 11 at 18:55

Hello all,

This is my second year growing tomatoes, last year we had excellent plants but poor weather, causing a massive amount of flowers to be aborted on all of our plants. This year the weather has been much better, we built raised beds (and put in great soil), and I have been more hands on with the garden as a whole. I am growing 6 tomato varieties, two types of cherries, jaune flamme, black ethiopian, big beef and yellow brandywine. I pulled side shoots on all the plants until above the first fruit set, since then I've let 3-4 side shoots per plant go. All the tomatoes are doing very well, with very heavy flowering, great fruit set and almost no dropped flowers. The one problem I am having is with the yellow brandywine. Every tomato that has formed has cracked open in a non-symmetric pattern on the blossom end, always on the blossom end and not a single tomato has been spared. Only one tomato on the jaune flamme (the first flowering branch, which only had one flower has a distorted tomato that is somewhat split on the blossom end) has similar problems, all the other fruits (which there are A LOT of) are doing great. Below is an image...I hope someone has some idea of what is going on here. I would hate to lose all the brandywines as the few I got last year were some of the best tomatoes I've ever had. Thanks in advance and please let me know if you would like any more information.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yellow Brandywine - is this catface?

I should also mention that these tomatoes sat out overnight after being cut off the vine. The bruising you see on the sides was not there when they were still on the vine...so I would assume it should be ignored as a symptom.

o

Yes, it is catfacing.

Dave

o

Any suggestion of how to fix the problem? I am in Portland, OR and we have been having great weather, I have been watering consistently with soaker hoses, no sign of excess nitrogen, etc....

o

For the most part catfacing is beyond our control although some varieties are more prone than others. It is primarily related to too cool air temps at the time of pollination.

Air temps in the vicinity of the bloom that are near 50 degrees inhibits complete pollination and part of the fruit develops but part doesn't.

Not much you can do but wait for later fruit.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here