Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andreajoyames

to anyone who has had nematodes

andreajoy
16 years ago

well...i cleaned out a garden bed today that had two stunted tomatoes in it. i suspected verticillium wilt because the leaves were browning and i thought i confirmed this when i cut into the main stem and saw brown vascular tissue.

but then, when i pulled up the stems...the roots were all knotty..

now i know that it's possible that i have both verticillium wilt and nematodes (won't i be a lucky gal?) but i was wondering for those who have had nematodes in the past, have you had brown vascular tissue in the main stem?

thanks,

a

Comments (10)

• jean001
    16 years ago

Yes.

So, more likely, you have just one problem -- root knot nematodes.

From now on, mix at least 2 inches of compost into the soil before you plant. And always use tomatoes with the "N" after the name.

• digdirt2
    16 years ago

From what I have read - no personal experience - the application of beneficial nems can really help. Might be worth investing in a batch? As jean says - lots of organic matter is a great control and the article from Clemson U linked below has several other suggestions and a chart of resistant varieties.

Good luck.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: RKN controls

• farkee
    16 years ago

Dave,

Unfortunately, I don't think there are beneficial nematodes that control harmful crop nems like root knot, sting, etc. The bene. nem. I have investigated in the past control different ornamental and lawn pests depending on the type you purchase.

I wish there were as I would buy them immediately.

• digdirt2
    16 years ago

Might very well be true farkee. ;) Like I said, no personal experience just what I have read about all the various types on the market. Gardens Alive advertises sf beneficials specifically for garden control of RKN.

"you can achieve 100% control of root-knot nematodes, and greater than 80% control of ring nematodes and sting nematodes, according to field trials. "

Whether they work or not I can't say but they may be worth investigating. ;)

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: GA - sf Beneficial Nematodes

• sautesmom Sacramento
    16 years ago

Hi Andrea:

As I have written before to your posts, you and I are close geographically and I share your pain with the nematodes. I have tried many things in my last 8 years in Sacramento (although not the Gardens Alive stuff above) and nothing works to get rid of them, not even the time I put a bag of potting soil in the ground and grew one plant in it (when pulled in Autumn, that plant STILL had knots, I guess they migrated in). Mulch seems to help a lot, but not completely. My best strategy has been to see which plants can deal, and which can't, and keep records every year. I now have a nice list of great tasting tomatoes which power through the nematodes and still produce, even with compromised roots.
    Carla in Sac

• br33
    16 years ago

Hi Carla
    Give us your list that produce great tasting toms and plow through the nematodes Thanks Bill

• farkee
    16 years ago

I do think the addition of organic matter is important too.
    Read somewhere that it may just be that the OM helps develop a stronger plant that can stand up to the assault on its roots that is gradually increasing as the season progresses. Also it may contribute beneficial microbes that are antagonistic to parasitic nematodes.

However, it doesn't really control the bad nematodes completely so planting Carla's varieties and any other N tested hybrid/OP that you do like should help.

I also plant a cover crop that is supposedly antagonistic to the nematodes common in my area. I have had toms. in large open bottom containers with nematode damage so before replanting in them I CAREFULLY pour boiling water twice, cover to keep the steam in, and then later add some compost back in to repopulate the good soil microbe guys.

If you do have vert. wilt too that would certainly be a doubly whammy --the nems damage the roots allowing easier entry of bacteria. What then? grafting? containers only? tear your hair out? What a relaxing hobby!

((Dave,

Thanks for the link. I just purchased beneficial mites, lacewing eggs, and 1000+ minute pirate bugs which I am still waiting on. I am experimenting with them as a control for thrips. Just one component of my all out assault.

I have purchased beneficial nematodes quite a while ago but did not realize they are marketing a variety again RKN and SN.))

• andreajoy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hi carla,

yes, i thought of you because i know you've said from the beginning that i probably had nematodes!!! sigh, i just didn't want to believe you. i went to capital nursery today and they recommended i solarize the soil because we still have a month of super hot weather ahead....so the bed was bagged today. i'm not sure if it will help or not. i'm sad because i was preparing the bed for cole crops for the winter. :(

i'd be forever grateful if you shared that list of tomatoes (or even some varieties) that didn't mind the nematodes. so far i know that stupice and costoluto genovese DO NOT fair well with nematodes!!! do you grow any other vegetables?

i also think that next year i might interplant nema gone marigolds with my veggies and then chop them up into the soil at the end of the growing season. have you tried this?

farkee, OM isn't a problem in my beds. i always add about 4 inches, twice a year (because i garden year round) and my soil was purchased to fill my raised beds. if i remember correctly it was either a 70/30 or a 60/40 mix of topsoil and compost (it's been years.) i also mulch throughout the season with compost....sigh..it still didn't help.
  • andreajoy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

oh..one other thing, in The Vegetable Gardener's Bible, Edward Smith says to use chitin to encourage nematode predators.

has anyone tried this? i can't seem to find chitin anywhere.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022