Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thebutcher_gw

My Fried Green Tomatoes

thebutcher
10 years ago

The old lady said we have too many tomatoes and does not know what to do with them so I improvised. many tomatoes not to brag but 40 or so on the sill almost ready and will probably give them away at least half to friends and counted over 100 more with many more flowers and small peas. But I had an idea, Fried Green Tomatoes in case it comes that time in fall where the frost hits and such, I never had them before but did some research and this is what I did.

To note I have a deep fryer and used the same batter that I make fried chicken with. More photos to come along with more ways of frying them soon.

This was just with Flour, baking oda, salt and pepper, paprika. I was making fried chicken tonight in the fryer so I said why not trial it. The deep fryer was on 375F

It was real good. And the sauce was just regular tarter sauce with some green onions, I haven't explored it too much yet but will soon. I kind of want to try a beer batter next. :)

- MrBeno

Gramar edits

This post was edited by thebutcher on Sun, Aug 11, 13 at 19:25

Comments (7)

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

That looks flippin' delicious. We might try pickled tomatoes this year.

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    10 years ago

MrBeno, my sister said she loves fried green tomatoes which I didn't know. I am having a very nice tomato season and will take her some green ones. At what stage would you recommend for fried green tomatoes? Just as they start to blush or when they are good and firm before they blush? I don't like them personally but apparently she does. Thanks for any suggestions.

• thebutcher
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Ed, they were real good, to the point where I would use a green one again to sacrafice a ripe one. Dirtguy, I would say possibly a slight ripe to none. The tomatoes in the photo had the bottoms starting to turn red. I think the whole problem with too much ripeness is the moisture in when it is fried.

I read the trick is to put salt on both sides and let them sit to help drain the moisture on a rack or paper towel. I also notice that sticking the tomatoe in lour mix then egg then back to flour helped because they were moist still. I am going to try one that is totaly unripe next and compare.

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    10 years ago

Yum, I like both fried green tomatoes and pickled green tomatoes. I've had them fried both before and after blush and they are both good. The ones that re blushing can be a little sweeter and wetter. Also you can make a passable fake apple pie with green tomatoes. :)

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    10 years ago

Love fried green tomatoes. I make them with cheese on top, usually mozzarella. The cheese is added after they are flipped in the skillet and about half way through cooking on the second side. Yum!

Have never deep fried them but might give that a try.

Cindy

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    10 years ago

Good information everyone. I will take her both and see which ones she prefers. Fortunately I have had plenty of ripe one for her as well. Thanks so much for being so helpful around here. Sure is a great thing!

• SproutingLexi
    10 years ago

those look great. Deep fryer sure helps!

To those who are willing to experiment, there is a great Latvian recipe for pickled tomatoes + onions in a pickle juice jello. Essentially your marinade is made to jelly up in the jar if you keep it in the fridge. It is quite tangy as Latvians are quite vinegar-crazy, but who knows, you may enjoy it. Since a Latvian recipe can be quite difficult to find in English, look for a Russian one, there should be plenty online in English.