Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Maters for Salsa

Posted by earthworm73 WA z8 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 24, 07 at 19:25

what do you think are the best tomatoes for making salsa? also could you share you fav salsa recipe with a list of ingredients?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Maters for Salsa

The best tasting ones! Especially hearts that are really solid and have few seeds. Otherwise, Rio Grande is very good for salsa & canning too.

Annie's Salsa from the Harvest forum was the best recipe so far.

ANNIES SALSA
8 cups tomatoes, peeled, chopped and drained
2 cups chopped onion
1 cups chopped green pepper
3 5 chopped jalapenos
6 cloves minced garlic
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp pepper
1/8 cup canning salt
cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup vinegar (1 c. for BWB, may use combo of lemon or lime juice and vinegar)
16 oz. tomato sauce
16 oz tomato paste

Mix all ingredients, bring to a boil, boil 10 minutes. Pour into hot jars, process at 10 lbs of pressure for 30 minutes for pints. Or BWB for 15 minutes for pints.

You can play around with the peppers and substitute more hot peppers instead of sweet peppers. I use 1 sweet and mix in some Joe E. Parker & Big Jim. If canning it, you cannot change the total amount of low acid things (onions & peppers) though you can eliminate some of either as long as you still end up with 4 cups. The sauce & paste are optional but add to the texture and thickness.

Mark

o

I have to agree Rio Grande is great for salsa.
They add a lot of body and little juice.
I also like to add i/4 volume of some sort of sweet cherry maters (sun gold or large red cherry) to add a slight sweetness for a good taste balance against the hot peppers.

o

Actually, I find the firmer varieties best for fresh salsa. I grew Manitoba this year, which was just average for overall flavor on a sandwich, but it shines as fresh salsa. It is easy to pop out the seeds/gel, and firm enough to chop up afterwards without adding much water to the salsa.

For canning salsa, I doubt it makes much difference.

o

A blend of softer and firm tomatoes works best. Korney's (Annie's)recipe looks great but why buy tomato sauce or paste when you have bushels of tomatoes? Use the softer ripe tomatoes for the background substance and dice the firm tomatoes for a chunky tomato texture. A variety of tomatoes will enhance the flavor and attractiveness of your salsa.

o

The best tomatoes for salsa are dry fleshed, firm tomatoes that can absorb the flavors and liquids like onions, cilantro, lemon and lime juice and still stand up to refrigeration without getting mushy. It also helps if the tomatoes are large, regular shaped globes so you can slice big, firm slices and then dice them up into a mess of bits without having to handle a bunch of small or misshapen fruit.

For the reasons given above, Mountain Fresh and Mountain Spring make fantastic salsa tomatoes.

o

Actually, the recipe I posted was Annie's from the Harvest Forum here at GW. It got the most rave reviews of ANY salsa recipe on GW--just go to the Harvest Forum and do a search for Annie's Salsa--it even got copycatted & renamed at a famous recipe site I believe. The tomato sauce & paste are actually optional, they just add to the overall texture. Also, this is a canning recipe so it stands up to pressure canning or boiling water bath canning--the recipe should be just as good fresh/refrigerated without canning.

As for buying tomato sauce or paste, YES, you can use your own homemade sauce or paste, but it's really a waste of energy & resources to make it just to add to the salsa if you can buy it for 96 cents or say 3/$1 for paste, unless of course you already spent hours to make it.

Mark

o

Anyone ever use Amish Paste for salsa?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here