Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bob_b_gw

Cuostralee vs. Cherokee

Bob_B
15 years ago

This year I grew Cuostralee for the first time, recalling a couple of favorable reports on this forum.

Wow! What a tomato! In my humble opinion, it is tastier than Cherokee, my up to now taste favorite. I've grown many heirlooms, but this one is the best -- very meaty, juicy, and of course tasty. (Unfortunately they have stem pits and cat faces often, but these can be cut out.) The plant only produces one or two fruits at a time, around one pound, but it looks as if it will go on producing for quite awhile.

Interested in your thoughts about this seldom mentioned tomato.

RB

Comments (6)

• carolyn137
    15 years ago

Seldom mentioned? I think not. LOL I don't know how long you've been reading here but many folks including myself have have recommended it to others.

If you liked Cuostralee then you MUST try Red Penna, Chapman and Wes and Neves Azorean Red ( must try this one), to start with, and while you're at it try Aker's West Virginia, OTV Brandywine,Russian #117, Andrew Rahart's Jumbo Red ( which isn't jumbo). These are just my red themed recs for now. LOL

Carolyn

• douglas14
    15 years ago

I'm growing Cuostralee for the second time. Both times it put out very large fruits. I think the largest tomato I ever grew was likely a Cuostralee.

• lee_71
    15 years ago

Best tomato around when it's good. This year, the fruit
    flavor just hasn't been there for me expect on a couple.
    But most varieties have had really muted/diluted flavors this
    year.....

Very little cat facing or deformed fruits from me.

Lee

• Bob_B
    Original Author
    15 years ago

..."Really muted/diluted flavors this year..."

Interesting! My tomatoes are all REALLY muted/diluted in flavor this year.

So are we imagining it. Or can a whole crop of tomatoes or various varieties change from year to year? Cause(s)???

RB

• larryw
    15 years ago

I finally got hold of some good seed for Cherokee Purple on my second try, last year was my first crop from that good seed, and this year confirmed the results: Cherokee Purple is a great tasting and reliable producer! I always have been a fan of Coustralee and got my daughter hooked on it this year by sneaking a plant into her garden. Hah!

I have a couple gardens about 15 miles apart. Both are near the PA/OH border about at the central point. Everybody around here is complaining about the tomatoes this year being so late and some folks have had no ripe ones as yet. Also, the complaint of low taste is often mentioned. There is a hugh open air sale here at Rogers, Ohio every Friday.
    Farmers come from miles away to sell their produce and I took the time to talk to several about how their vegetable gardens were doing. We had some folks from as far away as Mansfield, Ohio. All stated this was a bad year and that crops of most everything except beans and squash were behind and of lower quality than other years.

Finally got some great local sweet corn last night--earlier stuff had been just plain tasteless.

Now it sure isn't global warming getting to us. Apart from a couple typical weeks in late July and early August this has been a cool spring and early summer. Last night
    we had the Stag Steak Dinner here in the open air pavillion at the lake and the temperature dropped down after sundown
    to 58 degrees. That ran our crowd off early; you should have seen them scatter after the last door prize number was
    pulled!

Now, after all that bit-----, I have to tell you I'm going to can tomatoes again this morning. Think I'll make tomato juice.

• lee_71
    15 years ago

So are we imagining it. Or can a whole crop of tomatoes or various varieties change from year to year? Cause(s)???

We are definitely not imagining it. A few of us tasted tomatoes from 4 different locations in NC, and all were
    diluted compared to normal. Now, we did have some quick 100
    degree days as the plants were in the main growing phase, and
    that is the only consistent change from last year for all 4
    spots.
    My soil is different (I moved), but at the other 3, they
    are in the same place.... Very odd indeed. I wonder if there are long term effects from last year's drought that
    have impacted the microbial life in the soil..... Who knows?

Some of the later fruits have been much better, but I hope
    next year improves dramatically.

Lee

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner