Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rnewste

'MythBusters Challenge' - Azatrol vs. Take Down Garden Spray

rnewste
13 years ago

After several years of virtually pest-free gardening, this Season our entire region has been hit by a "Triple-Whammy" of Aphids, Psyllids, and Tomato Russet Mites. While individually, natural Beneficials may have been able to control them, not so this year. The EarthTainer "Farm" went from Lush, to this today:

{{gwi:106133}}

Plants were healthy and robust a month ago, and most have been mauled by these three pests:

{{gwi:106134}}

After evaluating synthetic based Insecticides like Permethrin and their residual toxicities, I've written off using them and have found two candidate products that appear to be less lethal:

{{gwi:106135}}

They appear to be aimed at Aphids, Spider Mites, and Psyllids, (among other insects) and in the case of Take Down Garden Spray, may be used up until day of harvest, which was not at all the case with Permethrin.

Here is a summary of each:

Take Down Garden Spray is a mixture of pyrethrins and canola oil which can be used to control a wide range of insects during the dormant and growing seasons. The unique combination of pyrethrins and canola oil has a dual effect which helps to control both adult and juvenile insects.

Take Down Garden Spray will kill the following insect pests: aphids, beetles (including flea beetle, Japanese beetles, asparagus beetle) caterpillars (including gypsy moth caterpillars, tent caterpillars, leafrollers, diamond back moth larva) ants, mealy bugs, mites, leafhoppers, scale insects, whitefly, adelgids, plant bugs, fungus gnats, thrips, sawfly larva, psyllids, spittlebugs and phylloxera.

$15.00 Pint Concentrate

Azatrol is a broad spectrum botanical product for control of insects and mites on indoor and outdoor ornamental plants, shrubs, flowers, garden vegetables, fruit and nut trees. Azatrol offers an array of effects by acting as a repellent, anti-feedant, insect growth regulator and ovipositioning deterrent. As a molting inhibitor, it prevents insect larvae from developing into adults. Insects will feed less or not at all on treated foliage, ultimately starving to death, they will also fail to mature and reproduce. This complexity also makes it impossible for an insect's resistance to develop - Low odor and OMRI listed.

$58.00 Pint Concentrate

Since they appear to have different methods of killing off the pests, I am going to trial half of my (remaining) garden with each one, to see which is more effective.

While the Peppers and Cukes are doing well, I am noticing Psyllid "sugar" on the Pepper leaves, and some Aphids on the Cuke leaves:

{{gwi:106136}}

{{gwi:106137}}

Coincidently, the local radio station said yesterday that this is the coolest Summer on Record in San Jose this year, going back more than 100 years. I am readying new seedlings to plant this coming week, as I should have a decent crop for the Fall. Let the Games begin....

Raybo

Comments (16)

• lordstanley
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Very informative. Good luck man!

• wulfe
    13 years ago

Ug that's heartbreaking. Here's hoping some of the semi-green tomato plants are savable.

Good luck with the replant in any case - hopefully you'll be one step ahead of the little nasties this time.

• rnewste
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just finished my first spraying this evening, after the bees had left for the night. Did half the plants with Azatrol, and the other half with Take Down. Also, split the PepperTainers in half, with each group getting sprayed. I'm hoping the Take Down will be as effective as the Azatrol, as it is $1.00 per ounce, while the Azatrol is $4.00 per ounce.

Don't feel too bad, this was the haul today from the unaffected plants:

{{gwi:106138}}

I'll post some photos in a few days to document effectiveness of the two products.

Raybo

• tomatojoa
    13 years ago

Raybo,

Wow, I never realized you had windows with curtains and I'm sorry to be able to see them. Please do post a follow-up with the results of your pest control trials. I was decimated by spidermites last year. So this year, before setting the plants outside, I sprayed the heck out of the garden area (even the walls of the house) with Permethrin. I've been pretty much pest-free - so far.... You might want to consider blasting the area with Permethrin before you set out your second crop.

-JoAnne

• spaghetina
    13 years ago

Oof, I hope you don't have any neighborhood cats that patrol your yard. If I was sure that I didn't, I might actually go that route, but since I'm a cat owner, and have definitely seen some of the neighborhood kitties roaming around, I refuse to use anything that will kill them. I want dead bugs, not dead kitties, but if forced to choose, the cats would be safe, the bugs would live and the plants would die.

• remy_gw
    13 years ago

Don't know if is any cheaper, but it always worked for me when I used to spray(I haven't had to in quite a few years, knock on wood) was to used horticultural oil and insecticidal soap. Got room for one more test area? lol.
    Remy

• rnewste
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've decided to not use Permethrin in the general plant area, as the concern of someone who I've given tomatoes to gets sick, then shame on me.

Having said that, I am going to put Permethrin in a sprayer with a wand attachment, and drizzle it into the crevice where the house foundation meets the dirt. While I have seen cats "patrolling" along our fence-line, I am certain this approach will not put any cats in harm's way.

I have been examining the plants today after last night's spraying of Azatrol and Knock Down, and I'm not seeing any movement under a magnifying glass. Doesn't mean anything re: the eggs, but so far, the "mobile" bugs are not appearing. Will keep all updated.

Raybo

• bigdaddyj
    13 years ago

I have tried Pyola. It's the same ingredients in the same concentration as your Take Down spray. It worked pretty good on mites, whitelies and aphids. But I had two spotted mites and have no idea how it would perfom on the russet ones. For the past few years green lacewings have worked so well I needn't spray any more Pyola. Unfortunately, Pyola does not work against stinkbugs...:(

I also am interested in your results...

• tomatojoa
    13 years ago

Spaghetina, I don't really have a yard, I have half an acre, but live on one of the many steep hillsides here in the Bay Area. I grow in containers on a deck (on stilts) that is 10-50 feet above ground, with the height depending on the front versus back of the house. The only animals on my deck are unwanted (essentially rats and squirrels and the occasional deer, although I have now blocked off their entrance). If I blast the deck (particularly in the crevices along the edge of the house) with Permethrin, and then bring out my plants in containers I don't see a problem as there is no contact between the plants and the deck. But perhaps I'm missing something???

• helenh
    13 years ago

Does Pyola hurt cats?

• OceanSurfer
    13 years ago

Any updates on this one? I was recommended a combination of "Take Down" and "Organocide" to combat a spider mite problem that I have on my tomatoes. The treatment was to start with Take Down for 3-4 days in a row and then switch to Organocide once per week. I'm only on my 2nd week but I'm still seeing spider mites and have resorted to spraying the plants with the hose as well. I'm hoping to see some progress soon!

• rnewste
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ocean,

I am sold on Take Down Garden Spray, as it did control Psyllids and mites in my Fall garden. In fact, I am still harvesting tomatoes on January 24 in N. California.

{{gwi:1384040}}
    Dona

{{gwi:1384041}}
    Indian Stripe

Raybo

• OceanSurfer
    13 years ago

That's great to hear! I guess the next question is how often did you apply and at what strength?

• dancinglemons
    11 years ago

Raybo,

Did you have any phytotoxicity with the 'Take Down Spray'? I'm currently alternating Aza with 'Take Down'. We will have 90's and 100's temps for next few weeks and 'Take Down' has a phyto warning.

Thanks,
    DL

• dancinglemons
    11 years ago

Raybo,

Did you have any phytotoxicity with the 'Take Down Spray'? I'm currently alternating Aza with 'Take Down'. We will have 90's and 100's temps for next few weeks and 'Take Down' has a phyto warning.

Thanks,
    DL

• Justin Fountaine
    7 years ago

Would it burn the plants if I sprayed the take down the day after spraying azatrol?

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals