Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happykat826

beatuful plants loads of flowers no fruit

happykat826
13 years ago

I am reading that the temp is responsible. We have a two tier above ground container with new organic compost and soil. The early girls did well but slow.. We did have cooler weather until late May this year. Our Big Boy is big and full of blossoms. We spank shake and do everything we read about to help pollinate but no tomatoes at all.

Will these plants start producing later when the temps start to stabilize around 80 to 90 degrees??

We have a few bees, bumble and honey that visit in the morning very early.

how can I get my plants to produce.. is over crowding a possible cause. we put one big boy and 4 early girls and one golden in the top tier (19 inches deep) and it is about 2 ft by 4 feet. the early girls are in front and did pretty well.

Comments (8)

• taz6122
    13 years ago

First problem is you used soil in a container and second is they are over crowded. Have you used any fertilizer? Container plants need more fertilizer because it leaches out of the container and gets used up by the plants.

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

we put one big boy and 4 early girls and one golden in the top tier (19 inches deep) and it is about 2 ft by 4 feet. the early girls are in front and did pretty well.

I strongly agree with Taz - your plants are heavily over crowded. 2'x4' will hold 2 plants, maybe 3 plants if you prune them to a single stem each. Over-crowded plants are highly stressed plants competing for nutrients and water. Stressed plants won't set fruit.

Air temps and humidity can affect pollination (tomatoes are self-pollinating so insects are basically irrelevant) but with stressed plants even blooms that are pollinated will drop off.

You have a very different tomato growing season time in AZ than we do and as far as I have learned from other AZ growers here, this isn't the time to be growing tomatoes there anyway. So I'd use the time to revamp your container - get rid of the dirt (soil) and fill the container with potting mix. No place for dirt in containers - it compacts and drains poorly causing all sorts of problems. Use soil-less container mix only.

Dave

PS: check in with the folks over on the AZ Gardening forum here to confirm proper planting times for your location.

• hellbound
    13 years ago

don't pull them up yet u may still get a fall crop if you're willing to keep at it. i'm in goodyear and right now all i'm doing is trying to survive the summer pruning down all the dead foliage and waiting for the temps to drop back into the 90's if you take good care of the you'll be eating fresh tomatoes well into december and with careful frost control again in early april although in the future i'd try smaller tomatoes like cherry, pear, or my new favorite juliets they do way better here in our intense heat. try some mg tomato fertalizer and thin your plants down (maybe even pull 1 or 2 of those early girls out and u should be ok though.

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Pulling plants now would most likely damage the roots of the other plants and render them out of commission. If you want to thin them now just cut them off at ground level and continue cutting off any new shoots that might grow back from the roots.

• hellbound
    13 years ago

good thinking taz i didn't even think of that. i picked my last dozen or so tomatoes yesterday but my okra are spitting out 5 or 6 per day and the hotter it gets the better it does. but i can't wait till i cools of in another month or so

• Koustubh
    12 years ago

My tomato plants are 5'5" tall but no fruit. I got one plant in pot which is doing well and producing fruit which is about 3' high. Other 2 plants are planted next to each other with 6" between them and they are 5-6' tall but no fruits. Lot of leaves no fruit. There were flowers in them but no fruits. I put 10-10-10 recently to get some fruits. Any suggestions ? . None of tomato plants I have on ground has fruits..Lots of leaves but no fruit. they also got red bugs underside of leaves I tried to splash them with water and dish soap water. Any suggestions for red bugs ?

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

My tomato plants are 5'5" tall but no fruit. I got one plant in pot which is doing well and producing fruit which is about 3' high. Other 2 plants are planted next to each other with 6" between them and they are 5-6' tall but no fruits. Lot of leaves no fruit. There were flowers in them but no fruits. I put 10-10-10 recently to get some fruits. Any suggestions ? . None of tomato plants I have on ground has fruits..Lots of leaves but no fruit. they also got red bugs underside of leaves I tried to splash them with water and dish soap water. Any suggestions for red bugs ?

Koustubh - You tacked this on to someone else's post so they will get this email. I hope you come back to see this.

Lots of leaves and no fruit means too much nitrogen fertilizer and now you have added more. Plus with only 6 inches between them they are overcrowded. And it sounds as if they have been heavily pruned, correct?

Plants that bloom but don't set fruit are suffering from what is called 'blossom drop' and I linked the FAQ on it below. Excess nitrogen fertilizer only makes it worse.

Lastly, the red bugs could be spider mites if there are any signs of webs but most likely they are aphids because aphids are attracted to excessive nitrogen in plants. If they are aphids they can just be wiped off with your fingers or hosed off with plain water.

But you really need to cut back on the fertilizers to keep them away. There is no way to know if your plants will still make some fruit. If it were me I would replace them while there is still time.

Hope this helps.

Dave

• Bets
    12 years ago

Apologies to happykat826.

Koustubh,

You might also change your profile so that people can send you an email, you can do it in such a manner that it does not show your email address. I have mine showing and I have never seen any evidence that I get spam because of it.

Betsy

Here is a link that might be useful: "Blossom Drop" FAQ