Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mariabee_gw

Orange Heart info?

mariabee
16 years ago

Quite a while back I received orange heart seeds from a trade, and finally grew them this year. Really a great tomato, but I'm wondering where they came from, any history of this variety, etc. They're medium size, firm, nice orange color, round, very prolific. All I knew was the name, and I was hoping they would be heart shaped, but they are still a good tomato anyway, similar to caro-rich.

Comments (8)

• korney19
    16 years ago

This was from a 2005 review by pnw_d:

Orange Heart from MS 05Â Â Not a true heart but rather small 3-5 oz matte apricot/orange oblate to round fruit that were both visually pleasing and quite tasty. Bearing a large number of clusters of 3-4 the vines battled fusarium throughout the season and continued to bear until frost. Like many orange varieties I found Orange Heart to be sweet, fruity and mildly tangy though not as much so as some of the heavyweights. Recommended and will grow again.

• korney19
    16 years ago

Azizi commented on them around the same time:

yielded over 20 lbs from 1 plant; 6-8oz, not hearts

And somewhere I found this:

87 days; Pale orange globes, semi-sweet, 6oz.

• carolyn137
    16 years ago

Kind of a misnamed variety these days since all but one person who lists it in the 2007 SSE Yearbook speaks of getting globe shaped fruit, but please read below about this.

I don't see any history other than to say that the variety was first listed in 1985 by Don Branscombe and he had a large collection of varieties, some bred by him and most not.

If it's really important that you know something I could try to go back to my 1985 SSE Yearbook but it's very difficult to find varieties before 1986 b'c back then stuff was listed differently than it is now, which is by fruit color.

And I do know that Glenn at Sandhill Preservation lists it but he says it is a heart. No doubt Glenn got it from Don back then and it seems to me that somewhere along the line it morphed into a globe shaped fruit. Presumably Glenn lists the original shape as does one othe SSE listers of this variety.

Carolyn

• HoosierCheroKee
    16 years ago

Two summers ago, I saw one of the prettiest tomatoes I've ever seen at our county fair. It was tagged "Golden Oxheart" and I contacted the entrant and went over to his garden and looked at several plants he was growing.

He had purchased them from a local vendor of Burt Hybel plants under the Chef Jeff Heirloom label. The plant tags in the 4-inch pots in 2005 said "Golden Oxheart." In 2006 and 2007, Hybel offered something called Orange Oxheart which appears to be the exact same tomato and closely fits the description given above for Orange Heart.

• carolyn137
    16 years ago

In 2006 and 2007, Hybel offered something called Orange Oxheart which appears to be the exact same tomato and closely fits the description given above for Orange Heart.

Bill, do you mean the heart shaped Orange Heart I referred to, as opposed to all those who are now getting globes?

You have your SSE Yearbook and you can see that Orange Oxheart is listed separately from Orange Heart.

Orange and Yellow and Golden and Red and Pink Oxheart varieties I see as being somewhat generic and have been around forever. Well not forever, but a good long time and are primarily offered in seed catalogs such as Shumways and Fields and Jung's and the like.

The only one I've grown is the Yellow Oxheart/

Carolyn

• pnw_d
    16 years ago

Hmm,

just dropped in for a quick look, and see this thread; boy my forgetter truly is getting better every day, but honestly I do not recall doing the review posted by Korney?? Even checked back through my totally unorganized notes - and nada. However, having said that, Mariabee - you were one of the first people I every traded wwith - so who knows??

And I must say I quite enjoyed reading "my" post - very visual :-)

If I do find any additional information re Orange Heart I will post again.

D.

• korney19
    16 years ago

I'm sorry, it was from:

RE: 2005 Bully Farms observations and comments

Posted by: awlewis z5 Denver, CO (My Page) on Mon, Jan 30, 06 at 22:12

When I scrolled with the mouse wheel to find it, it must have jumped more than the window to your reply (which just had the date &post

Posted by: pnw_d 8BC (My Page) on Sat, Jan 28, 06 at 10:15

right above awlewis' post. It was in Windows Desktop. Bad Windows Desktop, bad. Can you ever forgive me?

Anyway, here's a pic from 2002 on my hard drive, maybe from R. Kraft:

{{gwi:1384407}}

Sorry again.

• mandyb
    16 years ago

I am so glad to find this post! I know, I haven't been here in ages... Anyway, just got my order from Sandhill. They were out of Earl of Edgecomb and very generously sent me Orange, Orangeheart, and Golden Ponderosa as substitutes. Now, I'm in the city with just a balcony to work with, so I can't do all three,(because I have eight or nine others I need to plant!) This one seems like probably the closest to Earl though from what you folks are saying. I can always count on this forum!