Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Marglobe Seeds

Posted by sconticut 6b (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 6, 11 at 20:26

Is Marglobe considered open pollinated? Will saved seeds grow true? I know it was an early hybrid. Very impressed with this year's taste and yield after not growing it for twenty years.
Victor

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Marglobe Seeds

Victor, the initial deliberate cross was between Marvel and Globe to form the initial F1 hybrid and one of the selections from saved F2 seeds that came out of that was Marglobe, which is OP and yes, the seeds come true if there's been no crossing or mutations.

It was never offered as an F1 hybrid. Many of the earlier commercial OP's were done in the same way, as in cross X with Y to form an initial F1 and then make selection from the saved F2 seeds and then grow out those selecrions until all seeds sowed give the exact same plants/fruits at which time it's an OP.

Carolyn

Carolyn

o
RE: Marglobe Seeds

Thank you Carolyn. Don't know whether it's the terroir or my advanced skills from years of wrinkling away in the garden but this year's Marglobes are worth saving.
Victor

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here