Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overwintering cuttings

Posted by knightfarms_6a 6a (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 14, 10 at 20:40

I have had great success growing my tomato plants from seed this year, but I would love to take cuttings from some of the plants and overwinter them.

Will they need growing lights over them, or can they just hang out in the basement with the ceiling fluorescent lights like the other annuals?

I usually keep my hot peppers in a perlite, peat, bark fine mix, AL's, think that will work for the tomato plants?

Any other tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated.

-Cheryl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overwintering cuttings

Your mix will work fine for tomato plants and if peppers are happy under your fluorescents then the tomatoes should do fine. You will have to continue rooting cuttings all winter to keep them small. You might try keeping a larger plant cut back and let it produce multiple shoots for rooting later.

o

Wow, interesting idea!

I thought toms and peppers were shot after 1 season.....are they perennial in mild climates?

o

I know of a couple of plants that were kept alive almost 2 years inside. They eventually got root bound and too big to transplant and cuttings were taken from them. They lived on to produce but not sure how long as I lost touch with the person growing them. AFAIK peppers are the same way.

o

Last year I had one jalapeno I didn't plant out. Brought it in and put it in the garden window where it produced one pepper in Sept. Because the plant was still green I kept it and watered occasionally. This April, it produced a few tiny peppers. I was stunned because I thought they were annuals, but apparently can be kept going for at least a year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here