Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chicagodeli37

husky cherry red

ChicagoDeli37
11 years ago

This year I planted 4 husky cherry red. I like they because they stay short and don't get huge. I plan to put 6 of them on the outside of my inclosure. Any other types of cherry that stay small and compact?

Comments (10)

• dickiefickle
    11 years ago

How much is short in inches ? How many inches are in not huge ?

Here is link to most known varieties. You can search by many diffferent ways there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tania's

• seeker11
    11 years ago

Sweet Baby Girl also stays short. Does it have to be cherry tomatoes? If not, check out New Big Dwarf and all of the releases from the Dwarf Tomato Project.

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

I agree with what Seeker suggested, especially the new varieties from the Dwarf Project.

Husky Red Cherry has that deep green rugose foliage and is what's called an ISI ( indeterminate short internode) variety and so it does stay compact as you note.

All of the current releases from the Dwarf Project also have that deep green rugose foliage and also stay compact but the project has greatly expanded the fruit colors and shapes than have ever existed before for dwarf varieties.

As a side note, I think the Husky Red is the only one remaining of a series of Huskies that were bred by Petoseed many years ago in many different colors. They didn't go over well with the public b'c of the rugose foliage, which I happen to think is beautiful, but was new to most tomato growers at the time.

The pendulum went back to dwarf and det varieties b/c of so many folks wanting varieties that did stay compact for container growing and also for inground growing where space was an issue.

Right now I have two from the Dwarf Project growing, Iditirod Red and Dwarf Jade Beauty and have grown Summertime Green, Summertime Gold, Wild Fred, and a couple of others.

There are two places that carry ALL of the current releases from the project. One is the one linked to above and that's Tania's T-base which you can find by Googling and the other place is Heritage Seeds in CA where Steve also has all of them.

I'm just too lazy this AM to go fetch the links, sorry. And other places that were initially sent some of the new ones include Tomato Growers Supply, Victory Seeds, Sandhill Preservation, and they may still have some but the two places I mentioned above have all of them now as will Gleckerseedmen for 2013 if seed production goes well.

Hope that helps.

Carolyn

• CrosStitching
    10 years ago

Is this a husky cherry red? When I bought it at the nursery it was just labelled "cherry red". It is only a modest 2ft tall, very sturdy (probably doesn't need the cage in fact), slightly ruffled foliage, and loaded with blossoms and green tomatoes that are currently large walnut size.

• CrosStitching
    10 years ago

Here's another shot of the plant:

• ChicagoDeli37
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's not a husky cherry red. But a husky tomoato plant

• barrie2m_(6a, central PA)
    10 years ago

I'll agree that those pictured fruits look large for a cherry variety. There is one just called Husky Red which will produce larger fruit on a same dwarf plant. There are dwarf plants of shorter overall height than Husky Red or Husky Cherry Red. Red Robin is a real midget often only reaching 16-18". Some other short varieties which I'm growing with unique names are Perth Pride and Hahms Gelbe Topftomate. Both appear so far to be much shorter than thw Husky series.

• CrosStitching
    10 years ago

Thanks for the help! I'll post the final height of this plant and size of its fruit down the road. It looks more interested in flowering than continued growth right now. I'll ask the nursery next time I'm up there if they know the specific variety for the plant since as yall have pointed out it doesn't look like a cherry afterall.

• carolync1
    10 years ago

Remy Rouge is a container cherry tomato from Sample Seed Shop. I'm trying it this year. It's reported to be very sweet. Determinate, if I remember correctly.

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

Another vote for Remy Rouge! I'd describe it as more full-flavored than sweet -- though of course everyone feels different about taste.

It was a real survivor for me two years ago despite the Late Blight (I pruned affected foliage daily). [I don't even remember last year, except that the Late Blight hit even earlier than usual.]