Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long should it take to heal after pruning...?

Posted by dominickg23 none (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 21:02

Tuesday morning (more than 2 days ago) I snipped a few leaves & suckers off one of my plants, just took a look and happened to notice that the wounds were still bleeding...is this normal?

Am mostly just curious. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long should it take to heal after pruning...?

I think those suckers were pretty THICK. For thicker suckers you should use the "Missouri pruning" method.

> Thicker suckers should not be snapped off, since could damage the whole plant .If it's thicker than a pencil, use the "Missouri pruning" method: pinch out just the tip of the sucker, leaving one or two leaves behind for photosynthesis and to protect developing fruit from sun scald.

The drawback is that suckers will develop from the stem that you leave behind, which will require additional pruning, but this technique is better when you're dealing with large suckers--if wound becomes diseased, it will be further away from the main stem, and leaving a few inches on the sucker reduces the shock to the plant.

Prune suckers all summer long to keep the plant healthy. They grow quickly, so you may need to prune once or twice a week.

o

I agree with Daniel.
Pruning suckers should be done early on when they are thinner than a pencil. I prune leave branches further away from the stem, leaving a few inched intact.

o

Well then...not much to add but I don't like people to think that their advice goes unread or unappreciated so thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here