Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving tomatoes inside

Posted by elight (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 27, 11 at 21:25

Another hurricane-related tomato post! I live in the lower Hudson Valley, and it looks like we'll certainly be getting enough rain and wind to devastate my plants. This morning, I took the drastic measure of moving my tomato plant and my pepper plant, both in SWCs, indoors.

Hopefully I can put them back out late tomorrow night. Will they be OK spending two days indoors? Is there anything I can do to help them make it through?

Stay dry and be safe!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving tomatoes inside

If you have fluorescent lighting in your house anywhere, that would be the best place to put them - under fluorescent light. I believe fluorescent lights have a better spectrum for plants than incandescent bulbs. Some fluorescent lights have a better spectrum than others, but in general, I think they are better than incandescent lights for plants.

o

Or a really sunny location inside. You did the right thing bringing them inside. I don't think much harm would come to them even with dim light.

o

• Posted by tomncath St.Pete-Z10A-Heat 10 (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 28, 11 at 9:01

They never recover well if kept in dim light for more than 2 days. Any fluorescent light is preferable if you have it, but get them back outside as quickly as possible.

o

Sorry! I'm thinking of my experiences with houseplants.

o

Thanks for your comments, everyone. It stopped raining around 11am (instead of the projected 9 pm) so I was able to get them outside for the afternoon, and they even saw quite a bit of sunlight. Of course moving a 8-9' plant inside by myself was difficult and the top of the main stem got got bent back... Hopefully it won't die.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here