Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
billyoscar

2013 Garden

Billyoscar
10 years ago

The gardening season is drawing to a close for this year. We had an ample supply of fresh tomatoes as the plants responded favorably to my new idea of adding a portion of a half rotten log under the newly planted seedling. This allowed the roots of the plant to seek out the micro nutrients that the original tree had accumulated during its lifetime of growing. The log, when it becomes rotten and decayed, turns spongy and like a sponge, it absorbs water, which in turn, is absorbed by the thirsty plant. Also less irrigation is required when the piece of old log is added to the garden..

I believe the micronutrients in the log also supply the chemicals needed for the plant to react to (SAR) systemic acquired responsiveness. This is nature�s way of giving immunity to the host of pests and diseases that the plants are subjected to during their lifetime. No poison chemicals will be required as the SAR fills the capillaries of the plant and the pests and bugs go elsewhere.

Comments (4)

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Sound like German Hugelkultur, to me.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

SAR usually stands for Systemic acquired resistance.

• coconut_head
    10 years ago

I have several tomatoes in a hugelkultur bed and still got late blight infections on the plants.

Though truthfully I doubt anything other than physical isolation could stop a late blight infection. It's like Ebola, only for tomatoes, and spread by air currents!

CH

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Back on the subjec: Effects of rotten log:

I think most organic matter can play similar role. Instead of a rotten log you can bury lots of coarse compost , mixed with some peat moss, underneath the top 8 inch standard soil. It will play similar role. The root system can grow much easily in that medium than in a compacted medium. The same idea is applied in soil less potting mixes that provide a fluffy ,less compact medium.