Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn_nevins

still no sign of tomatoes one month after flower buds appeared...

Lynn Nevins
11 years ago

I have a tomato plant that's been doing really well...big and strong....I got all excited when I saw little flowers developing...it must be over 5 weeks ago now....I shook the plant to try and help the pollen do its thing....but 5 weeks later the little flower buds are unchanged.

Would it take this long for tomatoes to start developing from the buds, or do you think I'm just not going to get any tomatoes on this plant? Am I wasting my time watering it every day?! ;-(

Tx!

Comments (7)

• dickiefickle
    11 years ago

Are you sure they are Tomato plants ? Once the flower falls off you should be able to see a tiny BB size tomato infant growing in it place .

Could it be you have a Tomatillo plant ?

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

but 5 weeks later the little flower buds are unchanged

Buds wouldn't last that long; they would fall off if the blossom never opened from the buds.

So did you ever get open blossoms?

And are you speaking of just one tomato plant or are you raising other tomato plants as well and if so how are they doing?

Reading your post it seems to me that you're a bit confused, maybe, on the difference between a bud and a blossom.

Carolyn

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    11 years ago

Yeah, something's wrong.

A photo would be nice if you have one.

• Lynn Nevins
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all. Unless the seeds were wrong in the packet I got then 'yes', these are tomatoes....yellow pear to be exact.

I only have one plant.

Maybe I am confused on bud vs blossom. Here's what I saw:

dangling in a downward direction and growing off some of the stems were tiny little �trumpet� shaped yellow flowers�.really tiny. But I was able to see small little yellow flowers inside the green outer �leaves�. After about two weeks the little yellow flowers seemed closed up. They are still there, but I guess are essentially �dead��..the flowers seem closed now anytime I check them, they haven�t grown at all, and otherwise I have seen no change. So�.is this plant beyond hope�.it�s likely never going to produce tomatoes?

Tx.

• dickiefickle
    11 years ago

How about posting a picture ?

• Lynn Nevins
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well to all the non-believers out there (including myself...I was almost ready to give up on this plant)....yesterday I saw that one of the blossoms that had been on the plant for like 5 weeks, with no change in it at all....there's now a teeny weeny hard bulb shape emanating from it! I'm sure it's the start of a yellow pear tomato! Yeah!!!

• daniel_nyc
    11 years ago

Cool, hope youâÂÂll have many yellow pear tomatoes.

yippee1999 wrote: >Am I wasting my time watering it every day?!

EVERY DAY? YouâÂÂre kidding right?

I live in your area - Long Island, NY - and I water every 2-3 days.

My tomatoes trellis has a roof that serves both to:

1. Avoid overwatering or unplanned watering from heavy / long rains, and
    2. Protect for a few days, from strong sun, the recently planted seedlings / companion plants

{{gwi:99010}}

{{gwi:99011}}

To control even more the watering, I also have a DRIP IRRIGATION SYSTEM:

{{gwi:99002}}

{{gwi:99004}}

{{gwi:99006}}

{{gwi:99007}}