Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yumtomatoes

Started My Seeds Today

yumtomatoes
12 years ago

I can only do 2 for now. I started Brandywine OTV and Sungold.

I am going to start others soon for my friends who have more land to grow tomatoes. Going to start the following:

Brandywine Sudduth's Strain

Brandywine Landis

Yellow Platfoot Brandywine

Kellogg's Breakfast

Cherokee Purple

Virginia Sweets

Comments (10)

• yumtomatoes
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Started Brandywine Landis today. I hope this ends up being good timing for my plants.

• suddensam
    12 years ago

Yumtomatos, I think your pulling the trigger a little fast. In boynton beach I start seeds the first week in Sept. Start them outside and just watch for hard rains the first 3 weeks. You can start again in the middle of Dec. These are the dates that work best for me yr in and yr out.
    Plant em if you got em.
    Sam

• yumtomatoes
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Sam.

My neighbor starts his the first week in September like you do. He grows Better Boys. The reason I was starting a bit early is that the heirlooms seem to take longer to mature. And because I am impatient. I will start seeds again the first week in September and see if it makes a difference. I will just have to give the plants away but I should be able to find some takers.

Tom from Tampa (zone 9b) started his a month ago, but the crazy thing about Florida is that you can be only 120 miles north of here and the weather is a different zone and really quite a different climate when it comes to growing plants.

• yumtomatoes
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just rechecked and Tom is in zone 10a, St. Pete, not Tampa.

• yumtomatoes
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My first little seedling of the season. It is Sungold - germinated in 4 days. I soaked the seeds before I planted them.

• springlift34
    12 years ago

Nice.

Sam has a good saying. Plant em if you got em. I have a Reverend who has a saying similiar,"Smoke em if ya got em."

The Reverend Horton Heat

Same idea and I fully believe it. It is the whole purpose of the tomato itself. There are ALOT of seeds in tomatoes, and most do not fail to relive.

Take care,
    Travis

• yumtomatoes
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well I have 5 Sungold seedlings now; they just popped up overnight. One is all the way to the side of the cell in which it was planted. Should I move it to the middle or just leave it be?

• terrybull
    12 years ago

leave it

• yumtomatoes
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am getting a pretty good germination rate - 6/6 SunGold, 6/6 Sudduth, 6/6 Platfoot, 5/6 OTV and 5/6 Landis. Is this typical for fresh seeds?

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

95-100% germination is normal.

Dave